Disclaimer: MegaDrum is a drum MIDI trigger so, to produce any sound, you will have to connect it to a computer with appropriate software installed, e.g. BFD, Toontrack, Addictive Drums, or to a drum machine. There are no phone outputs on MegaDrum.
If DIY isn't your strongest skill, look at the MegaDrum kit.
Warning! You do need some electronics knowledge to build MegaDrum or you risk being frustrated happen you encounter a slightest problem while building it. See this example. In the situations like this I won't be able to help you even if I want to.
First of all, why would you want to build MegaDrum, is it better than commercial offerings or other DIY drum MIDI triggers? Here is why (if you didn't read the front page).
As an edrum MIDI Trigger:
- 32/40/48/56 trigger inputs.
- Supports Dual Zone Piezo/Piezo pads.
- Supports Dual Zone Piezo/Switch pads/cymbals.
- Supports 3 zone Roland style cymbals (e.g. CY-12/CY-15).
- Sopports 3 zone Yamaha style cymbals (e.g. PCY150S).
- CC Choke support on every Dual Zone piezo/switch pad or 3 zone cymbals.
- Supports variable HiHat pedals.
- Plug-n-play on Windows/Linux/Mac OS X. USB powered. No need for a separate power supply.
- Supports both standard MIDI connections and MIDI over USB.
- Firmware is software upgradable.
- Very flexible configuration with lots of features. See MegaDrum configuration documentation.
- It can be controlled from a computer. See MCT.
As a DIY project:
- No need for an expensive programmer. Programming is done via a simple cable.
- Potentiometers free design. You don't need pots at all and this saves quite some money.
- Simple design.
- Uses widely available components.
MegaDrum is about drums and about ...DIY. So, to build a MegaDrum module you will need to have some DIY skills. Most importantly you need to have some basic soldering skills or at least not to be afraid to acquire such. Also you may (or you may not) need to be able to read simple electronic schematics. If you don't know how to read the schematics it still might not be a problem if you manage to get/have made MegaDrum PCBs or make them yourself.
The whole process of building MegaDrum involves steps listed below.