how can I know if my mac is truly communicating with the MD?

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Re: how can I know if my mac is truly communicating with the MD?

Postby jeffbeckib » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:12 am

Look at this image. In the circle is pin 28 of the atmega, and the pin directly to it's right is a resistor. If you look in between both pins you'll notice that the copper clad is visibly causing that resistor to make contact with pin 28 on the atmega. Now if that's the resistor it's supposed to be connected to, then I guess it should be fine.

dmitri wrote:Replace the button.
Then do all the tests again including viewtopic.php?p=6208#p6208 and come back again tomorrow with your results.

Is it connected to the risister right next to pin 28?? If you look at my image, I'm referring to the resister right next to pin 28

I cannot understand what resistor you're talking about. pin 28 must be connected to one and only resistor.
jeffbeckib

Postby dmitri » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:18 am

jeffbeckib wrote:Look at this image. In the circle is pin 28 of the atmega, and the pin directly to it's right is a resistor. If you look in between both pins you'll notice that the copper clad is visibly causing that resistor to make contact with pin 28 on the atmega. Now if that's the resistor it's supposed to be connected to, then I guess it should be fine.

I'm trying think of something helpful to say on that ... but I just cannot. I thought I explained perfectly well about pin 28. I just don't know what else I can add.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby jeffbeckib » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:23 am

Sorry, forgot to attach the image

Look at this image. In the circle is pin 28 of the atmega, and the pin directly to it's right is a resistor. If you look in between both pins you'll notice that the copper clad is visibly causing that resistor to make contact with pin 28 on the atmega. Now if that's the resistor it's supposed to be connected to, then I guess it should be fine.

dmitri wrote:Replace the button.
Then do all the tests again including viewtopic.php?p=6208#p6208 and come back again tomorrow with your results.

Is it connected to the risister right next to pin 28?? If you look at my image, I'm referring to the resister right next to pin 28

I cannot understand what resistor you're talking about. pin 28 must be connected to one and only resistor.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jeffbeckib

Postby dmitri » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:26 am

Attaching an image doesn't change anything here.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby jeffbeckib » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:29 am

Well I connected everything exactly where it's supposed to go, I don't know what could have gone wrong, It worked fine for about 1 hour, and then I realized that the left button was stuck in the pushed in position which would kick the MD into firmware mode. After I replaced the button with What turned out to be a toggle button, I've only gotten a blank lcd with backlight.

BTW, shouldn't I be concerned yet that pin 14 on the pic read 0 on the meter?? or is it not important at this stage..

dmitri wrote:I must say, you're very brave to venture soldering MegaDrum with that level of electronics skills. Please, don't be offended.
jeffbeckib

Postby Synthex » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:31 am

This is not pin 28 on your photo !
Synthex

Postby jeffbeckib » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:47 am

ok, I don't understand what is so difficult about the question I'm asking here. pin28 of the atmega is connected to a resistor. I got that. my question is "is it connected to the resistor directly next to it?

BTW, I'm sure I'm not going to be the only Non technician trying to build this thing, and there is absolutely NO documentation on assembling this thing. Much of our interaction could probably have been avoided with step by step instructions. I know I may seem ignorant when it comes to basic electrical skills, but I have tackled far more difficult DIY tasks than this with less bumps. I'm no car mechanic, but with proper documentation I was able to practically rebuild my entire engine on my bmw. With your kit, I got a box with components and that was it. I couldn't find a single piece of documentation on your site. All the documentation you sent me about what resistor to use for the lcd, and any other helpful documentation was spread out all over the place on your site. I can't stress enough how although I don't have any experience with building electronics like this, that with the proper instructions, and basic soldering skills, this should have been a piece of cake, but instead I'm now regretting having gone this route.

Do you not sell these already assembled??? so I could have just stuck it in a case and be done with it?

dmitri wrote:Attaching an image doesn't change anything here.
jeffbeckib

Postby jeffbeckib » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:52 am

this is not pin 28? isn't the pin 1 on the atmega32 the one with the dot on the top of the icu? and if that's the case doesn't it star at 1-20 on one side, and then 21-40 on the otherside? That's how I'm coming up with that being pin 28

Synthex wrote:This is not pin 28 on your photo !
jeffbeckib

Postby Synthex » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:03 am

ATmega32.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Synthex

Postby Synthex » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:11 am

The pin on your photo is pin 31.
Synthex

PreviousNext

Return to MegaDrum Hardware