how can I know if my mac is truly communicating with the MD?

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

how can I know if my mac is truly communicating with the MD?

Postby jeffbeckib » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:35 pm

I've tried using the MCT, but I can't tell if it's really even seeing the MD. It will respond the same way weather I have the MD turned on or not..
Is there any other program I can use to try and re-load the firmware and bootloader?
:?:
jeffbeckib

Re: how can I know if my mac is truly communicating with the MD?

Postby dmitri » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:55 pm

Why do you even think you need to reload it? If you have an electrical problem on the board and it malfunctions, there is no way you can re-load firmware with anything.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby kimouette » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:42 am

jeffbeckib,
Make sure you have the latest firmware installed and then in MCT go to :
Options / Configure
In the "Midi Devices" area , chose "Megadrum" as your input and output device.
That's all you need to know if your MD is recognized by your computer!

If you dont see "Megadrum" from the dropdown menu in MCT, read this :

elrules wrote:Try installing this:
http://www.mandolane.co.uk/dlPlumstone.html
For installing (in Tiger OS, which has java 1.5) you only need to copy plumstoneserv.jar to /Library/Java/Extensions

For more info please read this:
http://lists.apple.com/archives/coreaud ... 00214.html

If you have more questions about the compatibility Mac/MCT, you can follow this thread :
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=400
kimouette

Postby jeffbeckib » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:45 pm

all this documentation goes back to 2004. I'm runnin OSX Leopard latest version on a brand new intel macbook pro. Shouldn't be any problem running java sound. But the the only options I see in the drop down menu under config are Real time sequencer and under midi out I have java sound synthesizer too. I don't have any Midi as an option.

kimouette wrote:jeffbeckib,
Make sure you have the latest firmware installed and then in MCT go to :
Options / Configure
In the "Midi Devices" area , chose "Megadrum" as your input and output device.
That's all you need to know if your MD is recognized by your computer!

If you dont see "Megadrum" from the dropdown menu in MCT, read this :

elrules wrote:Try installing this:
http://www.mandolane.co.uk/dlPlumstone.html
For installing (in Tiger OS, which has java 1.5) you only need to copy plumstoneserv.jar to /Library/Java/Extensions

For more info please read this:
http://lists.apple.com/archives/coreaud ... 00214.html

If you have more questions about the compatibility Mac/MCT, you can follow this thread :
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=400
jeffbeckib

Postby dmitri » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:00 pm

jeffbeckib wrote:all this documentation goes back to 2004. I'm runnin OSX Leopard latest version on a brand new intel macbook pro. Shouldn't be any problem running java sound. But the the only options I see in the drop down menu under config are Real time sequencer and under midi out I have java sound synthesizer too. I don't have any Midi as an option.

Before being able to see MegaDrum in MCT or any other MIDI aware program, make sure you can see it in "System Profiler->Hardware->USB". If it's not there then it has not been detected by Mac OS X which means your MegaDrum, and PIC18F2550 USB in particular, is not working properly. No point doing anything else until hardware problem is sorted.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby jeffbeckib » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:32 pm

No, I do not see it under system profiler. Let me ask you this, if it is the pic18f2550 is ok, and the usb connector is ok, what else is required on the board for it to show up under system profiler? and if the pic icu is failing, would this cause the lcd to be blank?, or would the atmega32 chip still display something, assuming it doesn't have any issues.

dmitri wrote:
jeffbeckib wrote:all this documentation goes back to 2004. I'm runnin OSX Leopard latest version on a brand new intel macbook pro. Shouldn't be any problem running java sound. But the the only options I see in the drop down menu under config are Real time sequencer and under midi out I have java sound synthesizer too. I don't have any Midi as an option.

Before being able to see MegaDrum in MCT or any other MIDI aware program, make sure you can see it in "System Profiler->Hardware->USB". If it's not there then it has not been detected by Mac OS X which means your MegaDrum, and PIC18F2550 USB in particular, is not working properly. No point doing anything else until hardware problem is sorted.
jeffbeckib

Postby dmitri » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:49 pm

jeffbeckib wrote:No, I do not see it under system profiler. Let me ask you this, if it is the pic18f2550 is ok, and the usb connector is ok,

Either one of above or both of them are not ok, so ...
what else is required on the board for it to show up under system profiler?

...nothing else will make it to show up under System Profiler.

and if the pic icu is failing, would this cause the lcd to be blank?, or would the atmega32 chip still display something, assuming it doesn't have any issues.

Take PIC18F2550 out of the socket and see if it has anything to do with the blank LCD. If it is still blank, then something else is at fault.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby kimouette » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:56 pm

Just want to rectify something I said... Cuz I gave you the wrong link! You're right Plumstone wont be any help.

After you're 100% sure that you're Megadrum is fully working, to allow MCT to detect it you will need to install this :

download and install MMJ (v0_87 for future reference)
http://www.humatic.de/htools/mmj.htm

copy mmj "mmj.jar" and "libmmj.jnilib" to your java extension folder:
/Library/Java/Extensions

And that's it! Forget about Plumstone, that was for something else, sorry about the confusion!
kimouette

Postby jeffbeckib » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:59 pm

took out the pic18F out and lcd still lit, but blank

dmitri wrote:
jeffbeckib wrote:No, I do not see it under system profiler. Let me ask you this, if it is the pic18f2550 is ok, and the usb connector is ok,

Either one of above or both of them are not ok, so ...
what else is required on the board for it to show up under system profiler?

...nothing else will make it to show up under System Profiler.

and if the pic icu is failing, would this cause the lcd to be blank?, or would the atmega32 chip still display something, assuming it doesn't have any issues.

Take PIC18F2550 out of the socket and see if it has anything to do with the blank LCD. If it is still blank, then something else is at fault.
jeffbeckib

Postby dmitri » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:06 pm

jeffbeckib wrote:took out the pic18F out and lcd still lit, but blank

Is it Synthex's kit? If yes, that is Atmega came with a bootloader, and still without pic18f in the socket, hold the key LEFT while powering MegaDrum up (or while plugging it into USB). Still nothing on the LCD even if you look at it at extreme angles?
dmitri
Site Admin

Next

Return to MegaDrum Hardware