Unable to configure Yamaha RHH-135 hi-hat

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Unable to configure Yamaha RHH-135 hi-hat

Postby causticveritas » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:27 pm

Hi all,

I have been trying to get my new Yamaha RHH-135 setup without much luck. I've read all the threads here on this topic. And so far have not found a way to make these playable. The primary issue is that i have to push down extremely hard for the hi-hat to register closed, and even when it do that i get a ton of unwanted notes when I actually strike the hi hat. Secondarily, I don't get 4 different hi-hat positions as people have said the RHH-135 should be capable of. I get 1) fully open, 2) somewhere in the middle, 3) fully closed if i press down extremely hard.

I created a cross-over cable as specificed here. i did not specify a hi-hat manufacturer when i ordered MD, because I didn't know this was a thing, so I assume that means I have a Roland configuration which I think means I need a crossover cable:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4608&hilit=rhh135

So my question is, how do i make this usable? Can someone point me to documentation for configuring one of these hi-hats controllers? The pad itself seems fine, but the controller is not working. If someone owns one of these and it's working well, please send me your settings.

The hi-hat switch on the front of my megadrum is in the 'on' position.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here's my settings:

hihatpad.png

hihatnotes.png

hihatmisc.png

hihatlevels.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
causticveritas

Re: Unable to configure Yamaha RHH-135 hi-hat

Postby causticveritas » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:28 pm

also, I am using BFD3 as my VST, using the variable hi-hat setting.
causticveritas

Postby dmitri » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:54 am

1. If the HiHat impedance switch is in Up position then disable 'Alt Input' in Pedal settings.
2. If you use CC 04 for pedal positions then all Notes (except Chick and Splash) must be set equal to Notes of the HiHat cymbal and not to 0.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby causticveritas » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:39 pm

Thank you that seems to have helped. I kept the switch on and disabled 'alt input'. I still have to push down hard to get the fully closed state, so i have to increase the 'low' setting to be greater than the value of the next high hat position, and then it's nice and easy like it should be but I lose the 4th high hat position. Adding the notes as described seems to have been the thing I was missing. I had tried various combinations of the switch/alt input setting and it didn't work as expected until i updated the notes.

Separate from this, It's kind of dumb how yamaha made this hihat to only have 4 positions, i'm tempted to crack open the hood and remove or replace the electronics causing the jump, I'm thinking I could probably implement a much smoother and more flexible transition mechanism using a simple hall sensor, i'll post pictures if i end up going this route, just strapped for time.
causticveritas

Return to MegaDrum Hardware