Megadrum to Audio Interface

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Megadrum to Audio Interface

Postby Russ15 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:39 pm

Simple question.. my main goal is to record and be able to play along with a track at the same time.

I am looking at the audio interface, the UA Arrow .

I am using BFD as my VST. So my thinking is connect Megadrum via usb to computer, connect audio interface to computer, point Recording software to use audio interface for sound and run BFD as a plugin inside of the recording software.

Is that correct?

Thanks in advance.
Russ15

Re: Megadrum to Audio Interface

Postby airflamesred » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:45 am

More or less, you need to get MD to show in the list of midi devices within the DAW..

koby drums - Triggera krigg/Bix - megadrum - Kontakt........... Samples from all and sundry.
airflamesred

Postby Russ15 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:20 pm

Makes sense, thanks.

It throws me off a little that I don't have to connect anything from the Megadrum to the Audio Interface but I guess since it can send midi straight to the computer over the usb connection there is no need.

So basically, for edrum use, I just use the AI for the sound drivers to reduce latency and lower the buffer is that right?
Russ15

Postby airflamesred » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:13 pm

MD is midi only so has no relationships with your audio interface.
What DAW are you using, I have a useful little script for Cubase.

Edit
That interface seems a tad expensive?

koby drums - Triggera krigg/Bix - megadrum - Kontakt........... Samples from all and sundry.
airflamesred

Postby Russ15 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:53 pm

I haven't even gotten into what DAW yet. I was using Reaper before and will probably start there, but I really have to learn that whole side of things.

I found this AI used for $250, the only reason I am considering this one is for the TB3 which my laptop has. I am also considering the Zoom UAC-2. I'm open to anything really though.

Any advice on good DAWs?
Russ15

Postby airflamesred » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:21 pm

DAWs are much of a muchness I think, I do most stuff from a keyboard these days and Cubase is good for that but Reaper is very good.
Audient have good reputation though you'd have to check on the Thunderbolt business.
Headphones?

airflamesred

Postby Russ15 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:51 pm

Haha have no clue on headphones. Open to recommendations!

After doing some research, I have read mixed reviews on AI's working with thunderbolt universally... I may have to confirm it works with my laptop before dropping money on that technology.
Russ15

Postby airflamesred » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:20 pm

Current headphones Shure 840 which I really like though I did buy some Beyer dynamic 770s for my daughter last month, very comfortable.
I'm now thinking that the Shure in ears I was using for the drums caused me some tinnitus. My fault I think, for trying to defeat the acoustic noise by turning them up.

airflamesred

Postby dsteinschneider » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:03 pm

airflamesred wrote:I'm now thinking that the Shure in ears I was using for the drums caused me some tinnitus. My fault I think, for trying to defeat the acoustic noise by turning them up.

I started with Shure E5C's which I didn't like at first when I had the Shure "olives" on them. They didn't stay in securely and once loose the kit noise would compete with the moderate volume I prefer. Then I watched a 65 Drums episode where Justin mentioned that he didn't like the Shure IEM's until he put the triple flanges on. I ordered some from Shure and "sure enough" ;) they sound much better so I can turn it down even more.
dsteinschneider

Postby airflamesred » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:41 pm

Ah, thanks.

airflamesred

Next

Return to MegaDrum Hardware