Fustrations with configuring switches

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Re: Fustrations with configuring switches

Postby ignotus » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:10 pm

Your module should have a switch (that isn't the power switch) for alternating between high and low impedance hi hat controllers. Try flipping that switch. If that does nothing I'm really at a loss as to what the problem can be. If it's working you should see activity on the screen and the MIDI LED should flash.
If it ain't broken... fix it until it is.
ignotus

Postby GreasyBumpkin » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:34 pm

You know I wonder if I got my inputs mixed up...?

Are we able to summon Dmitri for clarification on where input 1 starts from this pic?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GreasyBumpkin

Postby ignotus » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:44 pm

Top left.
ignotus

Postby GreasyBumpkin » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:18 pm

Ok so impedance change didn't register any midi signals. What I'm going to do now is try every combination of wiring and report back.
GreasyBumpkin

Postby GreasyBumpkin » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:58 pm

So..... I'm reporting back, and still getting nowhere.

I have done the following to try and find the kink in the chain:

1. bought a new set of sensors
2. checked the female jack on another trigger, can confirm all the signals flow
3. tried every combination of wiring
4. switched the impedance switch back and forth on each attempt
5. kept an eye on the raw midi feed on MDX while testing, alternating between hihat testing and hitting other triggers to check the feed is getting a read
6. As pictured before I'm just using those plastic terminal strips cut down to size, no soldering or hot glue.
7. Swapped TRS cables

Is there anyone on here that wouldn't mind sharing a screenshot of their controller settings?

It's been 6 months for me trying to get this all to work :( really starting to think my ambitions were too lofty
GreasyBumpkin

Postby dsteinschneider » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:32 pm

I didn't get any "lvl" from the weak magnets that were laying around my house.

When Ignotus advised me to scavenge the neo magnets from a hard drive it started working right away.
dsteinschneider

Postby ignotus » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:54 pm

If you have a 10k - 100k potentiometer lying around, hook it up to the hi hat input to see if it's working. Tip -> centre leg; ring -> left or right leg (doesn't matter, it's just for testing); sleeve -> remaining leg. Set it to 'pot' in MDMDFX and twist the pot. You should see the level change. If you don't, I'd suspect there's something wrong with the hi hat controller input and you'd have to start troubleshooting it inside the module - it could be a loose/disconnected cable somewhere. Another test would be to insert a stereo cable into the input and using a multimeter measure the voltage between ring and sleeve on the other end. You should be getting 5v or thereabouts.
ignotus

Previous

Return to MegaDrum Hardware