Akoustic to E-drum recommendations

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Akoustic to E-drum recommendations

Postby Dutchie » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:42 am

Hi guys,
I'm new here en searching for recommendations for an A to E drum conversion. And especially on the trigger part. There are old posts but things develop over the years. And you guys have the experience I don't have yet. What mesh heads with what triggers should I buy when using a mega drum and superior drummer 3 (IMO is the best sounding option there is). Would for example ddrum triggers do the job for the toms? The positional sensing is important for me for the snare, so what trigger should I use for that. If I get things working I'm really interested in using it in live situations.

Best regards,
Bert
Dutchie

Re: Akoustic to E-drum recommendations

Postby Mylo » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:42 pm

First, mesh heads:
This decision has a lot of personal preferences involved. So I’ll tell you what I have based on what I like. I like Jobeky 3-ply heads. They are quiet and they feel good to play. Rebound is good. Some people swear by the drum-tec Real Feel heads but personally I can’t stand the way they sound. It sounds like hitting wrapping paper. About the only way to figure which head you like is to order one for your snare from each of the vendors and just try them out. It’s an expensive approach but there really is no other way to do it.

Second, triggers:
First, if you want positional sensing on your snare you have to have a center mounted trigger.

Second, what I’m using... I’m currently using Jobeky AI triggers and they work really well. I had positional sensing working on my snare with SD3 but found I never really used it so I turned it off. I’ve tried Pintech triggers and while they worked well they were a little harder to install. I found Jobeky’s mounting hardware very easy to adjust and work with. I’m currently evaluating StealthDrum ISM and ISM-6 triggers. I have the ISM-6 trigger on my snare and it is working well. I have found the rim of my snare triggering better with the ISM-6 making side-sticking and rim shots easier. But the ISM-6 will not allow positional sensing because they are edge mounted. I still need to tweak some settings but initial impressions are good.

In my research with triggers I have found that if you buy from a reputable dealer it will trigger well so for me it comes down to mounting hardware and how easy it is to install and adjust.
Mylo

Postby Dutchie » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:48 am

Hi Mylo,
thanks for the reply. I am looking into the Jobeky triggers since I found that external triggers are no option for my toms (because of the rims). So it's good to know they work well with the megadrum. Sidetriggers would do the job for the toms, but my lugs only have one screw to mount the triggers. I wonder if that would hold or that the triggers will "loosen" over time. Have you got some experience with that?

I will check the stealthdrum triggers you mention to, thanks! And I understand what your saying about the personal preferences with the mesh heads. I'll find out myself 8-)

Have you tried Jobeky cymbals too?

cheers,
Bert
Dutchie

Postby Mylo » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:49 am

Yes I own several Jobeky cymbals and I like them. Very well built and they all trigger well with the MegaDrum. The 3 zone ride was very difficult to get working but the members here on the forum got me all worked out. The only critique I’d have with the Jobeky cymbals is the edge’s aren’t very sensitive. You have to hit them pretty hard to activate the switch. But from what I’ve been told this is typical of real brass cymbal conversions. The brass just doesn’t want to flex to activate the switch. But I’m still very pleased with them and they look awesome.
Mylo

Return to MegaDrum Hardware