Connecting mallet controller directly through band cables

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Connecting mallet controller directly through band cables

Postby pettersundlof » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:19 pm

Hi! I've finished my 56 input module complete with jacks, but going forward I'm thinking of doing a possible switchable configuration with 40+20 pin band cables going directly to my main controller, which will be a 3.5 octave/43 note mallet device. This shouldn't be a problem, right? My only concern is how I'd do ground wiring with a configuration that goes directly from the piezo elements to the band cable (or possible switchable routing inside) and the main board?

Also, does anyone have any pointers to smart solutions for making a routing switch between my soldered jacks and 40+20 band cable input?

Thankful for any pointers!
pettersundlof

Re: Connecting mallet controller directly through band cable

Postby airflamesred » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:47 pm

Same idea as I am about to do. I'm thinking I can mount the MD with the pads/bars and only need to run the usb to the PC.

koby drums - Triggera krigg/Bix - megadrum - Kontakt........... Samples from all and sundry.
airflamesred

Postby pettersundlof » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:33 pm

I'm split between just opening my MD every time and switch out the 40/20 pin band cables, or figure out a smart switchable implementation -- to have a two male IDC connector on the outside would be quite attractive
pettersundlof

Postby pettersundlof » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:48 pm

What would be the consequence of daisy chaining two different input alternatives? i.e. daisy chaining band cables in the line from the jacks to the main board? Would there be any other bad results other than having to choose? Or would it even be possible to trigger the same signal from two different sources, or would something be f'd up?
pettersundlof

Postby airflamesred » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:42 pm

What's band cables? Other band members playing one drum.

koby drums - Triggera krigg/Bix - megadrum - Kontakt........... Samples from all and sundry.
airflamesred

Postby pettersundlof » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:37 pm

Oh sorry, translation issue :) Ribbon cable!

i.e. Image
pettersundlof

Postby airflamesred » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:35 pm

Ah, got you.
As I say if you could incorporate MD into the mallet design you'll save yourself a lot of work. You don't really need the display.
Can we get a pic of the mallet?

airflamesred

Postby pettersundlof » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:33 am

I've not begun building the big one, but I made a 1.5 octave version a few years ago connected to an Alesis Trig IO:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPLtEgwUnUDGFC02Mig3Db4l_pLLs22HgA6hBiQEdfiou0Y3d-id7_07Gtkknn_5A/photo/AF1QipP7D_G4CMhKVgLSciXGVkyhvbu8rc8XP5ynHQzu?key=UzUxaUd3ejlON2hveDNLMDhjQ0xJOVdFdm5MblRR

The larger version is going to be far more properly built and not look like shit :)
pettersundlof

Postby pettersundlof » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:49 pm

Tiny update on build process with some pictures, below.

And a reiteration of my question: should "patching" in to the ribbon cable from a second line, present an electrical problem? Let me illustrate poorly:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pettersundlof

Postby pettersundlof » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:19 am

Any Yes it's okay or No OMG it'll blow up replies to such a wiring as shown in my illustration? Would be most grateful!
pettersundlof

Next

Return to MegaDrum Hardware