Anything at least distantly related to MegaDrum

Re: Just setup acoustic conversion - now considering cymbals

Postby dmitri » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:07 pm

Don't see anything wrong with this.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby dsteinschneider » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:51 pm

dsteinschneider wrote:I had to turn the threshold for the PCY155 up to around 50 when connected to the Ride input (5) - is that normal? I turned the input adjustment on the cymbal all the way down.

What's strange is that when returning to further adjust the PCY155 it was no longer triggering by itself at 20, in fact I could go down to about 8. Perhaps it's because I set the cymbal type to Yamaha from the default.
dsteinschneider

Postby dsteinschneider » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:38 pm

I have researched "e-cymbals" quite a bit. One thing I quickly determined is that Roland cymbal triggers are way too expensive when purchased separately from kits. I then spent of lot of time learning how people are building their own cymbal triggers from simple single zone to elaborate 3 way designs that trigger better than commercially available cymbal triggers (but probably aren't as reliable/robust).

I have purchased prewired piezo's from goedrums on amazon, soldered on a female mono 1/4 jack, and affixed them to Pintech 10" and 16" practice cymbals using clear 3M two sided tape from Home Depot. These work well for crash and splash.

I bought the PCY155 and PCY135 for ride and hi-hat use with the Megadrum because I wanted something visiting drummers didn't have to be too careful with and were quieter than plastic. Without two much configuration trouble I have them working for bell and bow/edge triggering which was my main goal. I haven't got them to choke yet. I think they're reasonably priced, very well constructed and play well. Perhaps others here can weigh in but I will go out on a limb to state I think they're the preferred commercial cymbal trigger for Megadrum use.
dsteinschneider

Previous

Return to Off topic