Just setup acoustic conversion - now considering cymbals

Anything at least distantly related to MegaDrum

Just setup acoustic conversion - now considering cymbals

Postby dsteinschneider » Tue May 21, 2019 3:26 am

I installed Ufodrums ebridges on a Ludwig Accent Combo 5 piece kit to use with my new MegaDrum Dmitri built. Everything went super smoothly and my original goal is achieved. I'm using the MD with Superior Drums 2 running in Cantabile. Since drumming isn't my primary instrument a friend is coming over to "tune" the heads and further refine the MD settings.

Normally the use for this system will be drummer guests playing the shells through MD/SD with acoustic cymbals.

For my own playing/practicing/recording I would like to add cymbal triggers. Since this is a blank slate (except I would like to stick with Superior Drums) I'm looking for the least expensive route. Since I won't be gigging with them I'm open to solutions that might require more maintenance.

Here is my thinking - I inquired to Jman on vdrums about his acoustic cymbal conversions because my Ludwig set came with ZBT cymbals I don't mind drilling/modifying. He replied that his setup works with 2Box, Alesis, Pearl and Roland units but MD users have reported problems with edge zone and choking

I then researched here on the forum and it looks like Yamaha or Alesis cymbals are preferred. I'm avoiding Roland because they are so expensive but perhaps I'll shop them used and just buy one at a time.

The Alesis Strike Pro for $100 looks promising - I saw the Youtube where little plastic unit on top of the spring is turned upside down to improve the open/close.

The Yamaha PCY155 looks like a good solution for the ride

I also looked at the Power Hell library to try to see which units work better.

I've built pads before and am open to dampening the ZBT cymbals and adding triggers to them.

I'm hoping this will give the experts here enough to recommend which way they think I should go.

Thanks in advance
dsteinschneider

Re: Just setup acoustic conversion - now considering cymbals

Postby jarosz » Tue May 21, 2019 5:15 am

I'm not an expert, but I'm using Yamaha PCY155 and it works good.
jarosz

Postby dsteinschneider » Tue May 21, 2019 1:17 pm

jarosz wrote:I'm not an expert, but I'm using Yamaha PCY155 and it works good.

You have it and you've made it work - that's the expertise I'm grateful you shared :D

What are you using for a hi-hat? I didn't mention that I was considering the foot pedal only route such as the FP9 and a little single zone cymbal trigger
dsteinschneider

Postby jarosz » Tue May 21, 2019 8:20 pm

I used to have Roland FD-8 and it worked fine. Now I'm using custom pedal with a hi-hat stand. I use PCY135 as a cymbal trigger (3 zones, there are two bell articulations for hi-hat in Addictive Drums 2).

With 'foot pedal only route' you mean only foot chick and splash, without control over pedal position?
jarosz

Postby dsteinschneider » Wed May 22, 2019 4:12 pm

jarosz wrote:I used to have Roland FD-8 and it worked fine. Now I'm using custom pedal with a hi-hat stand. I use PCY135 as a cymbal trigger (3 zones, there are two bell articulations for hi-hat in Addictive Drums 2).

With 'foot pedal only route' you mean only foot chick and splash, without control over pedal position?

I meant foot pedal as in standalone like you see in the least expensive roland kits used in conjunction with a single or dual zone cymbal you strike and the foot controller controls open and close
dsteinschneider

Postby dsteinschneider » Wed May 22, 2019 4:19 pm

I've been researching quite a bit on this forum, vdrums and some manufacturer sites like Pintech, Yamaha and Alesis. I'm not going to do what I called standalone foot pedal method - will definitely be using a hi-hat stand.
dsteinschneider

Postby jarosz » Thu May 23, 2019 9:09 am

Remember that Yamaha hi-hat pedal is not continuous, but limited to only 4 positions, more info: https://www.vdrums.com/forum/advanced/t ... nce-values
jarosz

Postby dsteinschneider » Thu May 23, 2019 4:14 pm

Hi jarosz,

Do you mind sharing what your cymbal setup is besides the PCY155.

I have an "acoustic" Yamaha hi hat stand that says "Professional Model" on it. I also have a Pearl one that came with the drum set. I want to convert one of those to whatever is most natural feeling.

Thanks,

PS I've been spending quite of bit reading time on ignotus' DIY 3 zone. He explains everything but I would probably need more step by step explanation to achieve his build. For example, I think if I had come across Rockdude's MegaDrum attempt (Build log) thread I might have bought just the kit from Dmitri (probably better for me to have Dmitri build it, I'm a menace with a soldering iron :lol: )
dsteinschneider

Postby dsteinschneider » Thu May 23, 2019 4:50 pm

How about the Yamaha RHH135? It's half the cost of the VH11
dsteinschneider

Postby ignotus » Fri May 24, 2019 6:41 am

Here's a DIY hi hat controller alternative you might want to consider. It's really easy to make, costs a tiny fraction of a commercial one, and works very well. You can use it in combination with any cymbal you want, mounted on a hi hat stand.

If you need any explanations about the 3-zone cymbal just ask!
If it ain't broken... fix it until it is.
ignotus

Next

Return to Off topic