Latest MegaDrum firmware version

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Re: Latest MegaDrum firmware version

Postby JoeBaermann » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:03 pm

dmitri wrote:Try this firmware:
megadrumSTM32d_56_20181118.zip

Will test this trough the comming week, 20181031 fixed an issue that came up with earlyer firmware which randomly made my tom4 randomly trigger crash2, same update also sorted out some mess with the zones on the same crash, but... it messed midi output up completely when playing blastspeed for some minutes, everything started to get ridiculous delayed, hopefully 20181118 fixes all of that. :)
JoeBaermann

Postby Rovalo » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:18 pm

dmitri wrote:Try this firmware:
megadrumSTM32d_56_20181118.zip

Hello Dmitri, thank you for your time to make this test version. I tested it but unfortunately exactly te same behaviour. After the file is succesfully transferred from MDMFX the MD module does not reboot and hangs with last ...888883> characters on MD display.

dmitri wrote:... As the last resort, I can only suggest to send the board to me and I will see if I have the same problem with the board.

If we are out of options then I agree it is best to send the board back to you for testing/repair. Can you provide instructions by PM?
Kind regards, Rob.

MD STM32F205RCT6 v3 (STM32d_56) full kit with 1.8" colour LCD, PDX-8, KD8, FD8, 2xCY5, 5xCY8, CY12R, 5x MPS300 DIY upgrade with mesh head/Roland cone/dual zone, Steinberg UR22/UR44.
Rovalo

Postby Rovalo » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:30 pm

Hello Dmitri,

I received my MD board today, thank you for the quick support to update the firmware. Now everything should be fine but unfortunately it isn't. However, my latest findings hopefully will shed a light on the issue and posting it here might help others too.

After building the board back into the housing I switched it on and the display was black. So I expected that to be a contrast setting and started MDMFX to change it. Firmware version 20181031 was running and normal midi communication made it possible to change the contrast setting. So I increased contrast up to 100 but still the display was black. So I guessed I miswired the display to the board and opened the housing to check. Compared it again with the pictures I took before disassembly of the board and documentation and all connectors were placed correct, only difference was the missing jumper on pin 13/14. I had seen that before but thought this was done by you to correct the wrongly set BootSel jumper you mentioned per email.

Well, I decided to put back the jumper on pin 13/14 because MD had always worked like that before latest firmware 20181031. Guess what, the display turned white and midi communication in MDMFX failed, same behaviour as I experienced before I send you the board for checking. Then I removed the jumper again and in MDMFX everyting was back to normal but the display was black again. With the jumper back on pin 13/14 and power on the display is white and midi communication fails.

I read in the instruction manual about a 200E resistor between pin 13/14 but a jumper would be fine too (and that was how I received the original full kit). Is that somehow different with the latest firmware and would a resistor fix the issue? Any other suggestion with above information?

Thanks for your support.
Kind regards, Rob.

MD STM32F205RCT6 v3 (STM32d_56) full kit with 1.8" colour LCD, PDX-8, KD8, FD8, 2xCY5, 5xCY8, CY12R, 5x MPS300 DIY upgrade with mesh head/Roland cone/dual zone, Steinberg UR22/UR44.
Rovalo

Postby dmitri » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:41 pm

You have to put jumper on pins 13/14 because you have an ST7735 based 1.8" LCD. For a standard 16x2 LCD (with which I tested the board) I connect the LCD to the this 8x2 connector so no jumper on those pins. For ili9340/ili9341 based LCDs the jumper must be set on pins 11/12. There should not be any difference for 1.8" LCDs with latest firmware but I will double check it when I'm back on 18th December.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby Rovalo » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:27 pm

Hello Dmitri,

I understand what you write about the jumper.

When there is no jumper on pins 13/14 then MD works but the display is black. Triggers show up correctly in midi-log and midi communication within MDFX functions.

When I put the jumper on pins 13/14 then the dispay is white and midi communication in MDMFX fails, it shows an error message as mentioned in earlier posts.

Please advice, thank you!
Kind regards, Rob.

Rovalo

Postby dmitri » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:58 pm

I just published a new firmware version. I was able to reproduce the bug and to fix it. I apologise for the delay due to me failing to reproduce and identify the bug earlier!
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby Rovalo » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:39 pm

I understand that sometimes it is difficult for you to judge if a user is making a mistake causing the issue or not.

We should have decided to ship the board to you together with the display.

Anyway, the problem is solved now, apology accepted.
Kind regards, Rob.

Rovalo

Postby Todu » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:24 pm

Hello,

I tried to update firmware on STM32d version without success. The whole system isn't working now: Doesn't start unless in update mode ("FwUpdaterSTM32d StartUpdateOnPc").
I use the procedure with mdfwupdate with both megadrumSTM32d_56_20181218.bin and megadrumsSTM32d_56_2018628.bin.
No led blinking or any other changes during transfer of the firmware. I tried to use USB MIDI and MIDIXX on mdfwupdate without success.

My system:
The 32 inputs module with 2.2" colour LCD with the positionnal sensing order from Dimitri in 09/2016.
I haven't tried to update firmaware since 09/2016 and system was perfectly working.

Please, help me because system is now not working. You'll see extract of the command executed on Windows computer.

Thank you very much
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Todu

Postby dmitri » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:01 pm

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1252 ALWAYS work if followed exactly and no other MIDI software is running at the same time.

As per instructions from the first post in viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1252 , please describe in details (step by step) what you do and what happens.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby Todu » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:14 pm

dmitri wrote:https://www.megadrum.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1252 ALWAYS work if followed exactly and no other MIDI software is running at the same time.
As per instructions from the first post in viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1252 , please describe in details (step by step) what you do and what happens.

Thank you for your answer. As describe, I had each procedure with comment:

To use this procedure a couple of pre-requisite must be met.
1. MegaDrum must be programmed with the protected bootloader. Think it's ok. System ordered in 09/2016
2. The procedure must be done on a Windows PC or Mac OS X. Windows 7 64bits

Here is description of the procedure
1. Download and unzip the firmware update utility called mdfwupdate. OK run correctly on prompt
(Updated on 23/12/2011 to add Mac OS X version).

2. Download the latest encrypted MegaDrum firmware and choose a file matching your MegaDrum version, e.g. for MegaDrum on Atmega644 the file will be called megadrum644_20111213.bin where 20111213 is firmware version date. Downloaded through viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1075 firmware: megadrumSTM32d_56_20181218

3. Power MegaDrum up while holding the key LEFT pressed. If you connect over USB and it is the first time you connect your MegaDrum to your PC, let Windows install drivers. While keeping the key LEFT pressed the MIDI LED will be blinking indicating that it is entering the bootloader mode. When you release the key LEFT the LCD will show (on ARM based MegaDrum):
Code: Select all
FwSUpdaterSTM32b
StartUpdateOnPC

OK This one appears as it's STM version

4. From a command line run the utility, e.g. on Windows:
Code: Select all
mdfwupdate.exe megadrum644_20111213.bin

5. First it will prompt you to choose which MIDI output port to use. Type a number corresponding to the MegaDrum MIDI port and press Enter. It will now prompt you to choose which MIDI input port to use. Type a number corresponding to the MegaDrum MIDI port (don't press Enter yet).
OK see attachement image

6. Skip this step on an ARM based MegaDrum. In MegaDrum select correct frequency for your Atmega crystal by pressing the key UP. Each time you press UP it will cycle one step through 16MHz-20MHz-24MHz-12MHz. If you use a 16MHz crystal for Atmega, you don't need to press UP since 16MHz is a default start up frequency for the bootloader.
OK

7. Skip this step on an ARM based MegaDrum. In MegaDrum press the key DOWN. It will display 'StartUpdateOnPC'.
OK

8. On the PC press Enter. Note, on Mac OS X this must be done within 1 second after step 7 otherwise MegaDrum bootloader will reset itself.
OK see attachement image

9. It will now start updating the firmware and after a couple of minutes it will finish. While doing the update it will show progress on the command line and on the LCD. On the LCD it will look like this:
Code:
88886>ater 16MHz
StartUpdateOnPC
NOK. Nothing happens on LCD. Only "FwSUpdaterSTM32d StartUpdateOnPc". Plus command return CRC error code (see image attachment)

Tested on different computer with same results.
Both Update software and firmware bin are on the same folder.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Todu

PreviousNext

Return to MegaDrum Hardware