Optical HiHat for the electricly challenged

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Re: Optical HiHat for the electricly challenged

Postby Seinsohn » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:03 pm

That looks awesome. Do you find that you have to use more exaggerated pedal movements to get the right dynamics? I've seen the video on YouTube but I'm still curious.
Seinsohn

Postby Seinsohn » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:05 pm

ignotus wrote:There's no shape requirement. People use circular magnets when they place the sensor and magnet in between the hi hat cymbals, so the magnet can go over the hi hat rod. I suggested putting the sensor and magnet under the pedal (much easier to do and just as functional), so a rectangular magnet makes more sense to compensate for any possible lateral movement of the hi hat footboard, to get a steady signal.

Would 1 or 2 of these glued together work?
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Wholesale-Super-S ... 0862967537
Seinsohn

Postby ignotus » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:05 pm

You set the dynamics and pedal range yourself in the module, it's very flexible. Yes, you can join several magnets together.
If it ain't broken... fix it until it is.
ignotus

Postby Seinsohn » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:37 pm

I ended up choosing to pay more to get the sensor from the U.S rather than China where it would have been $2usd but taken a month to get here. I got it from amazon for $11 with prime 2 day shipping:
https://smile.amazon.com/ALLEGRO-MICROS ... redirect=1

I also wanted the magnet from sooner rather than later so I got this one from a California based ebay seller for $4:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/N50-30x20x10mm- ... Ciid%253A1

Can you please send me some links to the terminal and other parts needed?

Thanks again!!!
Seinsohn

Postby ignotus » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:42 pm

You can get terminal strips at any hardware store. Google 'terminal strip' and you'll know what they are. They come in lengths of about 10 connections, though you just need 3. Just make sure you buy one of the smaller-sized ones, otherwise the screws might not be able to clamp down on the thin wires of the cable.

The only other thing you need is a stereo cable with a TRS male jack. This: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hosa-MHE-310-Stereo-Headphone-Extension-Cable-3-5mm-Female-to-1-4-TRS-Male-10ft-/131175980182?hash=item1e8ab29c96:g:oF8AAOSwPe1ULvUB would do. You cut off the female jack and carefully strip the wires. When you strip the outer plastic off you'll see 2 (probably white and red) cables inside which are tip and ring (strip them too) and then a bunch of copper strands around them (twist these together), which is sleeve (ground). These 3 wires go into the terminal strip.

Also, a handy tool for DIYing anything electricity-related is a multimeter that can test continuity. It's not absolutely essential for this project in particular, but it can make things easier.

Ouch! that sensor is insanely overpriced, but if you're in a hurry I suppose there isn't much choice...
ignotus

Postby Seinsohn » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:00 pm

image.jpeg

Ok. I got my megadrum and I have a cy12 3 zone pad on a 2 leg pdp stand. I put together the hall sensor parts but I don't know if it's correct. Despite my lack of wiring talent/exposure of the wires themselves, it seems like I may have done it correctly?

If I put this under my pedal at its base and glue the magnet to the pedal itself, it should work like this?

Once I have it physically set up right, what settings do i use for MD?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Seinsohn

Postby ignotus » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:55 am

Just wrapping the wire around the sensor's legs isn't a good idea - you'll likely get shorts or bad connections. If you get a smaller terminal strip you can bend the sensor's legs and insert them directly into the strip without the need to solder anything and you'll get a clean, solid connection.

I can't tell for sure whether the connections have been done right because I can't see how the sensor is oriented, but it seems to be correct.

Before assembling everything under the HH pedal, just plug the sensor into the HH input, and move the magnet close to it, to check if it's working. If you have one of the newer colour screens, you should see a number changing under 'Pedal'. You'll need to find the right orientation for both the magnet and the sensor; the magnet likely has north/south polarity and will not work the same on both sides. Ditto the sensor - I think the flat side should face the magnet. Once that's done you can install it all under the pedal and then start configuring it properly in the module.

If you look at my picture, you'll see I raised the sensor so that it's about 1.5 cm away from the magnet with the HH in the open position. When closed, it almost touches it but not quite. Still, I covered the sensor in hot glue to protect it in case it gets hit.

To configure the pedal, you need to set its 'high' and 'low' levels either in MDM or in the module itself. That number you see changing on the screen is the HH pedal level. When you close the pedal, the number displayed is the 'Low' level, and when open, the 'High' level. All you have to do is take note of these two numbers, and for the 'Lowlevel' setting in MD, dial in a number that's slightly higher; e.g. if you get 100 as low level, dial in 110. For high level, dial in a slightly lower number. If you get 300, dial in 290. You might need to tweak these numbers a bit but this method should work for you.

Hope this gets you going.
ignotus

Postby Seinsohn » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:09 pm

IT WORKS!!! I went to radio shack and bought a "European style" terminal with 12 positions for something like $3.50. I bent the sensor prongs to fit right under the screws in 3 of the positions and then connected the wires from the female end of the audio cable. I then cut off the other 9 positions of the terminal strip. I cut out a piece of foam from the packaging my laptop recently shipped in and cut a whole in its middle to tightly push the terminal/sensor up to the top from the bottom and then glued the whole foam piece to the floor of the pedal. The foam raised it to very very close to the magnet which I placed right where the pedal meets the chain. My open and closes are small but the megadrum levels control the openness based on my style of playing the hi hat. I'm so happy. It was so easy!!! Once I had all the right parts and understood the concept of it all it only took 5 minutes to put together AND set it up in megadrum.

Thank you Ignotus!!!!!

My next project is to use your method of getting positional sensing on side mounted triggers!
Seinsohn

Postby ignotus » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:01 pm

Cool, glad you got it sorted out.

How would you say it compares to the Yamaha controller you said was crap? Just curious.
ignotus

Postby Seinsohn » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:21 am

It kicks the crap out of it. I'm really impressed with how sensitive the new pedal is.
Thanks again for all the help.
Seinsohn

PreviousNext

Return to MegaDrum Hardware