My first MegaDrumming (incl audio sample)

Anything at least distantly related to MegaDrum

My first MegaDrumming (incl audio sample)

Postby Beamtreetaker » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:36 am

Hi,

after some initial problems with my module and after messing around with different cymbal constructions I today found time to build my first drum pad and connect it to my megadrum. I am very pleased with the result I got even though I did not do any longer tuning. I did record a small snare improvisation that shows megadrums capability to catch even slight hits and to recognize faster rolls (for my terms) very accurately.
Here is an audio sample:
http://rapidshare.com/files/108862697/1stmegadrumming.mp3 (As you can hear I am pretty much out of practice... :oops:)
If you like it I will do a video once my whole kit is finished.

Ah, and of course I do have one question : Is there a way to lower the 'hot spot' effect of a pad where the foam cone is attached to the center of the drumhead? My pad is extremely sensitive there, I'm not sure if this is normal and I just have to get used to it or if there's some tuning possibilities.
Beamtreetaker

Re: My first MegaDrumming (incl audio sample)

Postby slayer666 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:58 am

You should try the Roland PDX8 Approach.
http://www.edrum.info/forum/index.php?topic=1134.0

I use this method and I have no hotspot on the play area on the pad.
slayer666

Postby Beamtreetaker » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:34 am

Did you also try the pdx8 approach on larger pads? My snare will be 12 inch and I fear that triggering won't be very well when I use this method. Also I ask myself why everyone in the DIY community seems to build the center method... Did you encounter any shortcomings in your construction? Do others know about pros/cons of the pdx vs center approach? Thx
Beamtreetaker

Postby slayer666 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:53 am

Beamtreetaker wrote:Did you also try the pdx8 approach on larger pads? My snare will be 12 inch and I fear that triggering won't be very well when I use this method. Also I ask myself why everyone in the DIY community seems to build the center method... Did you encounter any shortcomings in your construction? Do others know about pros/cons of the pdx vs center approach? Thx

My pads are 10 inch and they work great.
I haven't encountered any shortcomings using this approach once I got it working.
I did a few experiments with different materials and settled with Mousepads from IKEA (0.5€/Mousepad).
Take a look at this tutorial I made a while back.
http://www.megadrum.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=165
slayer666

Postby dmitri » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:08 am

Nice demo!
Waiting for your video:)
dmitri
Site Admin

Return to Off topic