Build a diy cymbal

Anything at least distantly related to MegaDrum

Build a diy cymbal

Postby drumdhiver » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:07 pm

Dear drummers,
I would like to build DIY 3 zone cymbals (ok, I think it should be the 50th post about it)

I've seen it :

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j116/ ... EEZONE.jpg
On this page :
http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php? ... e-(Stealth)

How it work ?? Could you explain to me : I don't understand the short circuit switch, because there's no signal to modify (if I correctly look this schematic, there's just a switch between ring and sleeve)

There's another techno like this :

http://edrum.for.free.fr/static/picture ... tector.jpg

Could you explain the function of the electronic part ?

If you have ever do cymbals made ourself, give me tricks tips !

Thank you
drumdhiver

Re: Build a diy cymbal

Postby dmitri » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:44 pm

I would advise you against a piezo/switch/piezo design for a 3 zone cymbal - it will be very tricky to get consistent and reliable separation between bow and bell piezos. In fact I have not heard anyone using such design. I'd recommend you to use a piezo/switch/switch design as implemented in Roland and Yamaha 3 zone cymbals.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby everson » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:58 am

dmitri is right. ;)
My Videos
My kit: 6 DIY pads, CY5, PCY135, Hall sensor hihat, krigg - kick pedal trigger, megadrum
everson

Postby drumdhiver » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:54 pm

Hi Dimitri,

What do you want to say about "piezo/switch/switch"? :?
drumdhiver

Postby everson » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:12 pm

That means one piezo on the bow, one switch on the edge and one switch on the bell.
Try searching for '3-zone diy cymbal'. There are lots of resources.
My Videos
My kit: 6 DIY pads, CY5, PCY135, Hall sensor hihat, krigg - kick pedal trigger, megadrum
everson

Postby drumdhiver » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:39 pm

Hello !

This schematic is a switch / piezo / switch ? is this works with megadrum ?

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j116/ ... WIRING.jpg
drumdhiver

Postby ignotus » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:21 pm

dmitri wrote:I would advise you against a piezo/switch/piezo design for a 3 zone cymbal - it will be very tricky to get consistent and reliable separation between bow and bell piezos. In fact I have not heard anyone using such design.

For the record, I made a ride out of a 14" hi hat cymbal with 2 piezos, 1 under the bow (27mm, 1/3 distance from the edge) and the other under the bell (15mm). I must say I was skeptical about getting it to work reliably but it turns out that with a bit of tweaking in the module, zone separation is very consistent (you underestimate the capabilities of your module Dmitri!). I wanted to try doing it with piezos because I think that diy-ing a switch that will last over time is pretty tricky and a bit messy. I may attempt a switch mounted under the edge for the 3rd zone that takes advantage of the cymbal's flex when struck (look up slow motion images of cymbal and drum strikes on youtube - you'd never think they flex so much), but I just wanted to say that a piezo/piezo/switch cymbal is doable. The only downside is that it'll take up 2 stereo inputs instead of one.
If it ain't broken... fix it until it is.
ignotus

Postby dmitri » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:57 pm

drumdhiver wrote:Hello !

This schematic is a switch / piezo / switch ? is this works with megadrum ?

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j116/ ... WIRING.jpg

This is a Roland 3 zone schematic so it will work. Still a Yamaha 3 zone schematic is better since it uses only one jack, see viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1279
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby drumdhiver » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:59 pm

Hello!

Thank for your reply,

I make a little electronic mock-up with two microswitch and a piezo... It doesn't work, but there are some things which seems strange : If you look to this schematic, you will see that the (green) film switch which correspond to "bottom edge film" make a short circuit between ring and sleeve, so, the (blue) film switch corresponding to the bell can't give any effect !!???

I put input 1 on crash and input 2 in AUX 1. I ve only crash sound, microswitch given't effects
drumdhiver

Postby dmitri » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:37 am

There is an error in the drawing you provided - the correct one is at viewtopic.php?p=3664#p3664
Pressing any of switches 6, 7 or 8 will produce choke (aftertouch) but only switches 7 and 8 are used for hit detection.
dmitri
Site Admin

Next

Return to Off topic