Problems with LCD showing "Sent Kit #" message

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Problems with LCD showing "Sent Kit #" message

Postby quartertone » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:11 am

It seems as soon as I upgraded the firmware to Megadrum1284_56_20110626, I got strange characters on the LCD. Now when I connect to USB, it alternates between the messages "Sent Kit # 49" and "Sent Kit # 59". It thinks I am telling it to switch banks or something, even with no inputs hooked up. The LED also stays lit up constantly. What could be the problem, and how might I fix it?

Thanks in advance,
Joe
quartertone

Re: Problems with LCD showing "Sent Kit #" message

Postby quartertone » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:42 am

Update- I now am getting weird characters sometimes when I plug in the USB cable. Sometimes, all I get is the dreaded " Loaded Drummap (n)" screen w/ no navigation of the usual menu. I guess my Megadrum hates me. I hope there is a relatively simple fix, otherwise I have to cancel a show I have in a few weeks. I am simply too far behind.
quartertone

Postby dmitri » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:02 am

1. Are you having a problem with a test firmware version? Load officially published firmware.
2. Is AutoloadConf set to Yes?
3. Connect a HiHat pedal.
4. Rollback to a previous firmware version. Deal with this problem when you're not under time constraints.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby quartertone » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:59 pm

1. I don't think so, I was using the test one and it worked fine up until yesterday. I've since updated to 1284_56_0703, and it started doing the random characters and Sent Kit msgs.

2. Yes I did set AutoLoadConfig to yes, but only after loading defaults.

3. OK I will connect my HiHat pedal.

4. Yeah, well I can go back and hook up my Alesis D4 for now but I thought I'd give a plea for help first, since Megadrum obviously will blow it away. I'll try an older (official) firmware version first before I resort to that old hulk.

Thanks Dmitri, you have something special here and I really appreciate your help.
quartertone

Postby dmitri » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:03 pm

If you set AutoloadConf to No (wait till it exits the menu for the setting to be saved) and power cycle MegaDrum, does it still misbehave without a HH pedal connected?
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby quartertone » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:53 am

No, it doesn't. It works now that I wrote over both configs and turned Autoload Config off. It seems that the problem was indeed related to configs made w/ old firmware being loaded, I guess. Now my problems are:

1. USB MIDI port has really bad latency (around 1/4 second). Not a show-stopper though since MIDI Out into the soundcard works just fine.

2. No HiHat chick or splash sounds yet. Possibly related to my pedal design, it is a little slow to open after being pressed, and I may not have found the proper Hi/Low levels yet.

But at least I'm up and running!
quartertone

Postby dmitri » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:14 am

quartertone wrote:No, it doesn't. It works now that I wrote over both configs and turned Autoload Config off. It seems that the problem was indeed related to configs made w/ old firmware being loaded, I guess. Now my problems are:

1. USB MIDI port has really bad latency (around 1/4 second). Not a show-stopper though since MIDI Out into the soundcard works just fine.

You are not using ASIO with it then.

2. No HiHat chick or splash sounds yet. Possibly related to my pedal design, it is a little slow to open after being pressed, and I may not have found the proper Hi/Low levels yet.

What type is the pedal?
What is the position of the impedance selection switch?
What is AltIn set to?
What are the levels settings?
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby dmitri » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:51 pm

I addressed the issue described in the first post of this topic in the latest, 20110706, firmware version.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby quartertone » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:12 pm

^ Cool.

I am using ASIO on the PC, actually I spoke too soon about latency, it isn't really a latency problem, just that the NoteOn and NoteOff msgs are reversed, and the Note Off msgs are being sent first and the NoteOns 200ms later. From searching the forum it seems to be the same or similar problem others have had w/USB Midiport. Could some old config data be causing this? I am sure I wrote over both configs and all drum maps as well, but I am not yet familiar with the finer points of how parameters get stored, so I could be way off base.

As for my pedal design, I am using a Force Sensing Resistor (Spongy-type of antistatic foam ~6mm thick) and a simple circuit w/ 1M resistor between Tip (0-5V return signal) and ground. The ring is the 5V reference (pin 40 on CN1) and the tip is connected to pin38 of CN1 (Alt Pedal In). Alt In parameter = yes (HighZ), LvlsRevers: = yes (VDC=0 w/ pedal up). LowLevel=17, HiLevel=770. Works okay except no foot sounds. I was getting a chick sound before but not since I flashed to 20110703.

Hope that helps!
quartertone

Postby dmitri » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:32 pm

quartertone wrote:^ Cool.

I am using ASIO on the PC, actually I spoke too soon about latency, it isn't really a latency problem, just that the NoteOn and NoteOff msgs are reversed, and the Note Off msgs are being sent first and the NoteOns 200ms later. From searching the forum it seems to be the same or similar problem others have had w/USB Midiport. Could some old config data be causing this? I am sure I wrote over both configs and all drum maps as well, but I am not yet familiar with the finer points of how parameters get stored, so I could be way off base.

Please post about it in viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1596. If you could show me there the steps to reproduce the problem it would help.

As for my pedal design, I am using a Force Sensing Resistor (Spongy-type of antistatic foam ~6mm thick) and a simple circuit w/ 1M resistor between Tip (0-5V return signal) and ground. The ring is the 5V reference (pin 40 on CN1) and the tip is connected to pin38 of CN1 (Alt Pedal In). Alt In parameter = yes (HighZ), LvlsRevers: = yes (VDC=0 w/ pedal up). LowLevel=17, HiLevel=770. Works okay except no foot sounds. I was getting a chick sound before but not since I flashed to 20110703.
Hope that helps!

Please, create a new topic for the problem since it is completely different from the topic of this thread.
dmitri
Site Admin

Return to MegaDrum Hardware