FAQ on connecting drums to MegaDrum?

Anything at least distantly related to MegaDrum

FAQ on connecting drums to MegaDrum?

Postby ile » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:04 pm

Hi,

OK, so the more I try to read on different ways to connect pads/drums to MegaDrum, the more confused I seem to be. There seem to be countless combinations of one piezo, piezo/piezo, piezo/switch, stereo, mono, ground, chokes, Keith Raper's circuits, polarities and so on. And I didn't even touch the hi-hat/cymbal issue yet (I think?).

I haven't really found a place that explains a different ways to create these and make correct connections.

Would anyone be so kind to explain the basics, maybe even with diagrams - i.e. what wire (from the piezo/piezos) needs to go where (in 1/4" plug)? At least the most basic ones, like single/dual zone tom, single/dual zone snare (tom or snare, maybe it doesn't make a difference)?

About cymbals/hi-hat, it would also be nice to find them in the same faq - what are the differences in principle in different kinds of design and maybe take some brands as an example...

Not sure how big that faq would become, but it if it's getting too big, maybe putting it into a Wiki could help so that many people could contribute?

Or if it already exist, then that would work too :)

Edit: oh, a word on wires would be nice too, Is there any preference to use some kind of wires than other?

Thanks,
Ilkka
ile

Re: FAQ on connecting drums to MegaDrum?

Postby Firelord » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:39 am

ile wrote:I haven't really found a place that explains a different ways to create these and make correct connections.
Check this out.

ile wrote:Edit: oh, a word on wires would be nice too, Is there any preference to use some kind of wires than other?
I would recommend using shielded cables if possible.
Firelord

Postby ile » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:25 am

Firelord wrote:Check this out.

Ok thanks, but that's part of my point, that explanation raised more questions...

- It doesn't really say what the diagrams are for. I'm guessing two zone snare/tom setup
- How do hey relate to MegaDrum? Which one should I use?

You can see that things are quite confusing for a newbie like me.

A Wiki for MegaDrum would be a nice thing, I think. To put all these together...
ile

Postby Firelord » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:48 am

ile wrote:- It doesn't really say what the diagrams are for. I'm guessing two zone snare/tom setup
- How do hey relate to MegaDrum? Which one should I use?
Yes, these wiring diagrams are for two zone pads. You can try either. I'm using the second (Alesis) wiring for my pads.

ile wrote:A Wiki for MegaDrum would be a nice thing, I think. To put all these together...
I agree.
Firelord

Postby ile » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:50 pm

I can surely help with the software side if needed. Install Mediawiki etc...
ile

Postby ile » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:12 pm

Dmitri, what do you say? I think it would be a great resource and could attract new users?

I would do it myself if I knew anything about edrums :)
ile

Postby dmitri » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:32 pm

I look positively at MegaDrum wiki but presently I just don't have time for this myself.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby dm9876 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:04 pm

dmitri wrote:I look positively at MegaDrum wiki but presently I just don't have time for this myself.

If you would endorse it, I would be more than happy to set one up and host it (you can forward one of your url or subdomain later).

I think it would be a huge benefit to the megadrum community. Main benefit to do it yourself would be to link the user databases of the forum and wiki so as not to need a second login.

I propose dokuwiki

http://www.dokuwiki.org

Dean
dm9876

Postby dmitri » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:13 pm

You are welcome to set it up if you are willing to dedicate some time to it. I will post a a link to it once it has some useful content.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby ile » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:30 pm

I actually started doing that already... reserved a domain edrumswiki.org and was going to host it somewhere.

Edit: not yet sure where to host.
Last edited by ile on Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ile

Next

Return to Off topic