Future firmware versions.

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Future firmware versions.

Postby dmitri » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:17 pm

Foreword: everything described below is triggered by a person selling MegaDrum for profit without my consent. See details in viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1245

From now on all future MegaDrum firmware files will be published on the forum in encrypted format. These new firmware files can only be loaded with a new, protected, bootloader. To keep this new bootloader secure, it must be programmed into Atmega by me. This means that to be able to load new firmware versions you will need to get Atmega MCU from me. I have no intention of profiting from this so I'll try to make the process of getting Atmega with the protected bootloader as cheap as possible so that the cost of Atmega MCU still constitutes a small part of cost of building the whole MegaDrum module by a DIYer.

At the moment I'm still in the process of working out the best possible way of doing it. This is one of the suggestions:

1. You choose one of these MCU's:
http://uk.farnell.com/atmel/atmega32-16 ... dp/9171282
http://uk.farnell.com/atmel/atmega324p- ... dp/1455110
http://uk.farnell.com/atmel/atmega644p- ... dp/1455122
http://www.rapidonline.com/sku/Electron ... 86/73-5080
http://www.rapidonline.com/sku/Electron ... 86/73-5084

or find another place where I can buy them cheaper.
2. Add 4.95 pounds which Farnell/Rapid charges for delivery (if several persons ask for the MCU at the same time, the delivery cost can be spread or eliminated altogether).
3. Add 17.5% VAT.
4. Add cost of postage to you (I guess around 3-10). You are welcome to suggest to me the cheapest delivery method.
5. Add 3-5 pounds of handling fee (I still need some time to handle programming/testing/postage).
6. Add 5% for Paypal tax.
7. You send me the total amount over Paypal.
8. I buy the MCU, program it and send it to you.

I'm open to all other suggestions.

P.S. If you have a module which I've built for you and want to be able to load future firmware versions, please PM me to discuss the cheapest way of doing this.
dmitri
Site Admin

Re: Future firmware versions.

Postby Firelord » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:51 pm

Given some thought and the fact that encrypted firmware is a secure measure I guess I'm starting to see this a bit differently. This seems to be a necessary step and although it makes building MegaDrum somewhat more complicated and expensive, it certainly has the ability to protect MegaDrum from abuse in the future.

I'm sure that sooner or later a method of minimizing the aforementioned expenses will be found. We have a full fledged community here after all.
Firelord

Postby Firelord » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:54 pm

I also have a question. Will old versions of the bootloader and firmware be hosted on this site or will they be removed?

And one more question: will the updating procedure be the same for the encrypted firmware (via MIDI-OX, MDU etc)?
Last edited by Firelord on Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Firelord

Postby jman 31 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:00 pm

Dmitri, I would be willing to do them for people in the USA for you if you want to keep the costs low. That would mean that you would have to trust someone that you don't know though. I'm really sorry that it had to come to this for you.
jman 31

Postby dmitri » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:25 pm

Firelord wrote:I also have a question. Will old versions of the bootloader and firmware be hosted on this site or will they be removed?

Removing them from the forum is a pointless exercise.

And one more question: will the updating procedure be the same for the encrypted firmware (via MIDI-OX, MDU etc)?

It will be an update utility which does two way communication over MIDI. In fact both the bootloader and the update utility are now ready and tested.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby dmitri » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:30 pm

jman 31 wrote:Dmitri, I would be willing to do them for people in the USA for you if you want to keep the costs low. That would mean that you would have to trust someone that you don't know though.

For obvious reasons there can not be any exclusions for the programming Atmega with the protected bootloader. Yet, I'm open to all other suggestions to make it as cheap as possible for all DIYers.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby rockdude » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:55 pm

Wow this really sucks and I hate the person causing all this! I understand you have to do it dmitri, but I'm very sad it had to be like this at the same time.

I'm not even sure I'll have the skills to unsolder my current MCU and replace it with your new one. Will your MCU work with Synthex kits without any extra measures?

To make things work I would have to:
1. Remove my current MCU from my board.
2. Order a new programmed MCU from you.
3. Solder it into place.

After this is done all I have to do is to turn my MegaDrum on and I'm happy to go?

Maybe an in depth tutorial would be good when you have everything ready.
rockdude

Postby jman 31 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:14 pm

rockdude wrote:Wow this really sucks and I hate the person causing all this! I understand you have to do it dmitri, but I'm very sad it had to be like this at the same time.

I'm not even sure I'll have the skills to unsolder my current MCU and replace it with your new one. Will your MCU work with Synthex kits without any extra measures?

To make things work I would have to:
1. Remove my current MCU from my board.
2. Order a new programmed MCU from you.
3. Solder it into place.

After this is done all I have to do is to turn my MegaDrum on and I'm happy to go?

Maybe an in depth tutorial would be good when you have everything ready.

That is why it is essential to use a socket when you use programmable IC's instead of soldering the IC. That way you can easily remove them for reprogramming and changing.
jman 31

Postby Firelord » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:16 pm

I think so.
Firelord

Postby dmitri » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:21 pm

Firelord wrote:
I think so.

It is exactly like this.
dmitri
Site Admin

Next

Return to MegaDrum Hardware