Feature suggestion

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Feature suggestion

Postby nitramnoj » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:20 pm

Hi,
Would it be feasable to have some additonal hi hat midi notes set from within megadrum. At the moment there is the open, half open and closed tip and shank (and bell i think but dont use it) options within megadrum, could 1/4 closed and 3/4 open also be included? I know i can set these by using edrum montitor or equivilent, I also appreciate it could be argued that this should be dealt with by the VST but I would much rather set this in MD than have to use an addtional software on my PC.
I think if it was easy to implement it would prove to be very useful for a lot of MD users.
Any Thoughts?
Cheers
Noj
nitramnoj

Re: Feature suggestion

Postby dmitri » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:41 pm

I thought most of the MegaDrum users use VSTs to get variable HiHat sounds using MIDI CC messages. If more people think your suggestion is useful, I will add support for it.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby nitramnoj » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:05 pm

I think a lot of people do use the VST for the HH control (BFD, SD2, AD) but not all VST's support edrum HH so therefore something like edrum monitor has to be used. Would certainly be a cool feature for myself not sure how many others would find it useful.
So lets see how many MD users think it would be useful.
Anyone?
nitramnoj

Postby Akkue39 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:46 am

I think, it's usefull. I use USB with a VSTi but sometimes i use a Boss DR660 drumcomputer on MIDI Out. There is no MIDI CC in it to work with.
Akkue39

Postby nitramnoj » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:28 am

What no support from the MD community, I am a little suprised!!!!!

I know this is a feature I want, but also think it is an excellent feature for lots of people. I think the reason not everyone who has viewed the post has said they would find it useful is because most current MD users have already achieved satisfactory HH control by using the VST's CC message interpretation. I would suggest that this is the case because like most Edrum VST users (myself included) they have chosen a VST package that is geared toward edrummers, the feature i am suggesting will bring greater flexibility in VST choice and usage (this can mean saving money as well). I have made a brief list of the reasons I think this feature would be useful in the hope to point out to everyone why they should support this suggestion and the benefits they will get.

Key reasons to include this feature:

Not all VST's have HH CC message support (e.g. Abbey Rd Drums)
Those VST's that do have HH support often have it poorly implemented (e.g. Steven Slate Drums)
The are many more VST's out there than the "big" 3.
Would make MD more flexible to use with external drum machines that mostly support switch type HH but do have all HH articulations available.
Most VST's have features to suit the keyboard drummer (there are more of them than use) and the edrummer is dealt with a few versions later, if at all.
Future users will find this feature very useful, just look at most edrum forums and HH control is the biggest issue with VST's
MD would be the flexible TMI because it could be used with pretty much any VST and achieve good HH response
Those VST's that have HH CC support tend to be the main stream ones that generally cost more money (e.g. BFD2 - £200 compared to Abbey Rd Drums >£99)
Would remove the need to use additional midi software to achive good HH response as it could be dealt with by MD ( i would certainly prefer this)

Please comment even if you think this feature is not beneficial along with your reasons, I will at least be able to appreciate why.

Cheers
Noj
nitramnoj

Postby dm9876 » Mon May 10, 2010 3:18 am

I think this would be great but would need to think of a way to _not_ make the LCD interface even more complicated than it already is.

I would love to have the 5 zones to match like BFD2 (see demo video here) from tight closed all the way through to full open

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Uu45pQT5DY

I would like to use with Hydrogen or other simple sample playback software, so I could have a super light weight PC that still provide really low latency. My main problem in that context is finding multi layer sample sets that include various levels of "openness". If anyone is aware of any I would be very helpful. Seems to me the only ones out there are the full suites that already have advanced interpretation of the CC messages, like superior drummer 2 or BFD2 etc.

http://www.hydrogen-music.org/

Dean
dm9876

Postby macca2004 » Fri May 14, 2010 11:39 am

This is something I would like to see for all the reasons already stated...

If Superior can do this then has anybody acheived this using megadrum? I cant seem to... but maybe I need to disable the open/closed levels and HO midi notes. At present I definately only get three zones...

Tutorial anyone?
macca2004

Postby rockdude » Fri May 14, 2010 1:38 pm

I do see this as a good feature too. 5 levels of openess would be great to tweak from the MegaDrum interface together with for example Superior drummer. And for these 5 levels it would be efficient to be able to set a note for each level and in what cc-range they will trigger.
rockdude

Postby Ken Forgettable » Fri May 14, 2010 9:44 pm

dm9876 popped a good link to a BDF2 video tutorial where the narrator says a separate hi-hat pedal is best because when the top cymbal gets adjusted it buggers up the patch. As this is the case there must be something wrong with the design :arrow:
Ken Forgettable

Postby dmitri » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:31 am

See changes in the firmware version 20100613.
dmitri
Site Admin

Next

Return to MegaDrum Hardware