sensitivity issues with Roland PD120 for snare

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Re: sensitivity issues with Roland PD120 for snare

Postby bcmusic » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:25 pm

Seems I still have a lot to learn about Megadrum!

Do any companies make pre-built voltage dividers or trimpots in a box? I searched google but maybe I put in the wrong search terms.

I now have a better response using my ddrum Pro dual-trigger snare trigger.... but the PD120 problem still prevails.

Thank you for your help Dmitri... if you could point me to any websites that may or may not sell voltage dividers in a box/knob config (and 1/4" input/output included), that would be great. I know NOTHING about electronics or soldering.... so, the easier things are, the better! :)
bcmusic

Postby dmitri » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:39 pm

Give me some time, I'll draw a diagram and maybe you won't think it is too hard make it yourself.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby bcmusic » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:49 pm

Is there anything that can be done in the meantime (before trying to build this box) to make my pads less "hot"? Surely some of you out there have experience with Megadrum and a Roland pad... or is everyone using Hart / Pintech / DIY snare/tom triggers?
bcmusic

Postby dmitri » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:19 pm

These are 3 variants of voltage dividers in a cable/box:
voltage devider cables_boxes.png

Is it too complicated?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby dmitri » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:35 pm

bcmusic wrote:Is there anything that can be done in the meantime (before trying to build this box) to make my pads less "hot"? Surely some of you out there have experience with Megadrum and a Roland pad... or is everyone using Hart / Pintech / DIY snare/tom triggers?

For hot pads you may try (it won't solve the underlying problem):
1. Set AllGainsLow to Yes (which you already did).
2. Set HiLvlAuto to No.
3. Set HighLevel to 1023.
4. Set Curve to Exp1 or Exp2.

I must admit we look at these voltage dividers from different perspective. Since you know nothing about soldering when you look at them they may appear as Egyptian hieroglyphs to you but when I look at them they look so simple to me that I fail to find where it can cause trouble building them.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby dmitri » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:25 pm

This is how a voltage divider for dual piezo/piezo pad might look like:
top.jpg

bottom.jpg

I should also mention that in fact you can get away with just a regular resistor connected in series with a piezo because it will create a voltage divider with a internal resistor on the MegaDrum input. In this case you can just place the resistor inside a cable jack. Only you will have to experiment first to find the right resistor value (but MegaDrum settings will still allow you for a wide range of the resistor values, e.g. between 10k and 30k).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby Espen » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:45 am

This might be a stupid question but would it be more practical that the jack goes to the MegaDrum is male instead of female?
Espen

Postby Firelord » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:34 am

Espen wrote:This might be a stupid question but would it be more practical that the jack goes to the MegaDrum is male instead of female?

Yeah, it would be more practical, wouldn't it? You can solder the male jack to the PCB by means of wires instead of the second female jack. That again, you don't even need a PCB for a voltage div, resistors can be soldered directly to wires. With proper isolation this will be OK.
Firelord

Postby Trommeltotti » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:41 pm

Hello All - Hello @dmitri - Hello @synthex,

after I put together the @synthex All In One v3.1 PCB 56i kit I was almost 2 months not at home in Berlin. I had some time now to test the device at home a little bit.

And what am I supposed to say? Nothing functions :!: As terribly!

I guess it's the same issue like above. My excellent http://www.diamondelectronicdrums.com/ E-Set from Dave UK (scroll down the "Gold Glass Glitter kit is me) is totally "to hot" for the MD unit! Nothing goes! (2ply Mesh dual piezo/piezo system) Also my ROLAND VH-11 HiHat and all my YAMAHA Cymbal pads are maybe "to hot" for the MD project. :o

So I need those "voltage divider" at all? I did not build any case until now. Is it possible to use those "voltage divider" inside on the input 32/24 PCB extension boards from @synthex? Please, please help.

Thanks very much.

Trommeltotti, Germany Berlin
Trommeltotti

Postby dmitri » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:03 pm

I "nothing functions", how do you know your pads are too hot?
dmitri
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to MegaDrum Hardware