Output module?

Anything at least distantly related to MegaDrum

Output module?

Postby Loccufier » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:02 pm

Hi everybody

I'm new here, and I'm thinking about ordering one of Synthex's kits and building my very own Megadrum.
Before I get started though, I was wondering...

Since I'll use this megadrum with my A to E drums, both combined with my normal A drums I use for gigging and on itself, I need to know if it is possible to assign each triggered sound to an output.
I know the Megadrum has nothing to do with that, but I would need a sound card with 10 to 20 individually assignable outputs, since a stereo output isn't enough for decently sending your sound to the PA. I know the Roland TD-20 has multiple outputs.

I was wondering if anybody here is facing the same problem, or if anybody would know of a hardware/software combination capable of doing that.

Thank you in advance!
Loccufier

Re: Output module?

Postby Pete Predictable » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:42 am

Loccufier wrote:[snip] since a stereo output isn't enough for decently sending your sound to the PA. I know the Roland TD-20 has multiple outputs.[snip]
As you say; the instrument sound is assigned to the audio out channel by the sampler software.
Since you are using a stage PA mixer there is no point outputting a stereo signal, treat these as two mono feeds.

If you only play stadium gigs with all your own PA you might consider a couple of MOTU 828 MK3s to handle a megadrum 56. ;)

Personally I would suggest 8 channels is more than enough to expect your average house PA to handle;
Snare, Bass, Hihat, mounted toms, floor toms, 2 over heads should be enough - or you could end up like this crowd.

They tipped up to Stoke poly' with no equipment at all and canceled the gig when we told them they would have to share the vocal mics.
I seem to think it was the guy on the left who I met ...
Pete Predictable

Re: Output module?

Postby kwas » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:38 pm

For a chepaer, but still OK result, you could also use Terratec PHASE 88, 8 in, 8 out card.
Two of them work for me just fine in my studio.
kwas

Return to Off topic