Smartrigger 3 zone Ride and 3 zone Hi Hat question.

Anything at least distantly related to MegaDrum

Smartrigger 3 zone Ride and 3 zone Hi Hat question.

Postby Jman » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:39 pm

I have seen that there is support for Roland and Yamaha 3 zone cymbals. Smartrigger 3 zone ride is a different configuration, it is dual TRS jack. Bow jack is bow piezo and edge switch. Bell jack is bell piezo and the same switch is used for edge. The edge switch is linked on the 2 jacks. So, the question is will Megadrum support that style 3 way? My own cymbals use this setup. The main reason the switch is shared for the bell is that the choke function works for bell, bow, and edge this way.... at least on Roland modules.

I could modify my design for Megadrum, but thought I would ask if this would work without modification.

Also, another feature of many Roland modules is this: If you assign a Hi Hat sound to another pad/input besides the actual HH cymbal/input.... the HH controller can control the additional HH pad/sound. This is useful to me in my own 3 zone HH cymbal. My 3 zone HH cymbal is virtually the same as the 3 zone I outlined above... piezo, piezo, switch. So having that control over other inputs allows me to use a bell piezo through another input ... assign a HH bow sound to it... then retune/tweak for my HH bell sound. The bell opens/closes just like the bow/edge all controlled by the same HH controller. I realize Megadrum is just a TMI though and am wondering will it support a 3 zone HH? I imagine this is software related also.... and wonder if BFD, or Superior might work with this if anyone is familiar enough? Thanks in advance ... 8-) J
Jman

Re: Smartrigger 3 zone Ride and 3 zone Hi Hat question.

Postby dmitri » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:37 pm

Jman wrote:I have seen that there is support for Roland and Yamaha 3 zone cymbals. Smartrigger 3 zone ride is a different configuration, it is dual TRS jack. Bow jack is bow piezo and edge switch. Bell jack is bell piezo and the same switch is used for edge. The edge switch is linked on the 2 jacks. So, the question is will Megadrum support that style 3 way? My own cymbals use this setup.

Not right now, mainly because I hear about such 3 zone implementation for the first time.

The main reason the switch is shared for the bell is that the choke function works for bell, bow, and edge this way.... at least on Roland modules.

It actually doesn't matter because with Roland and Yamaha cymbals MegaDrum chokes all notes assigned to all zones.

I could modify my design for Megadrum, but thought I would ask if this would work without modification.

Also, another feature of many Roland modules is this: If you assign a Hi Hat sound to another pad/input besides the actual HH cymbal/input.... the HH controller can control the additional HH pad/sound. This is useful to me in my own 3 zone HH cymbal. My 3 zone HH cymbal is virtually the same as the 3 zone I outlined above... piezo, piezo, switch. So having that control over other inputs allows me to use a bell piezo through another input ... assign a HH bow sound to it... then retune/tweak for my HH bell sound. The bell opens/closes just like the bow/edge all controlled by the same HH controller. I realize Megadrum is just a TMI though and am wondering will it support a 3 zone HH? I imagine this is software related also.... and wonder if BFD, or Superior might work with this if anyone is familiar enough? Thanks in advance ... 8-) J

My understanding is that it is up to samplers to interpret CC messages from the HH pedal and apply required effects/modifications to all HiHat sounds no matter from which pad they come.
Btw, for me as a beginner drummer, is it really useful to have 3 zones on a HiHat cymbal?
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby Jman » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:58 pm

dmitri wrote:Btw, for me as a beginner drummer, is it really useful to have 3 zones on a HiHat cymbal?

Not at all, this is something you won't even see anywhere in stock e-Hi Hat cymbals really.... Just something someone asked me to build for them.... then since I am a finatic myself I figured.... hey I gotta have me one of those myself.... Here is a video demo I did of it, I rambled on way too much on this one....but:
http://www.weblogimages.com/dajmando/St ... d_4-08.wmv

On the 3 zone Ride... and 3 zone Hi Hat... I think since 2 separate inputs would be used on Megadrum if I make the bell just a single piezo and do not connect it to the switch.... Mega drum could handle the bow/edge the same as any other 2 zone Piezo/Switch pad, and the bell jack as a single zone ... you might loose choke capability on the bell?... but not a biggie.
Jman

Postby dmitri » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:18 pm

Jman wrote:
dmitri wrote:Btw, for me as a beginner drummer, is it really useful to have 3 zones on a HiHat cymbal?

Not at all, this is something you won't even see anywhere in stock e-Hi Hat cymbals really.... Just something someone asked me to build for them.... then since I am a finatic myself I figured.... hey I gotta have me one of those myself.... Here is a video demo I did of it, I rambled on way too much on this one....but:
http://www.weblogimages.com/dajmando/St ... d_4-08.wmv

On the 3 zone Ride... and 3 zone Hi Hat... I think since 2 separate inputs would be used on Megadrum if I make the bell just a single piezo and do not connect it to the switch.... Mega drum could handle the bow/edge the same as any other 2 zone Piezo/Switch pad, and the bell jack as a single zone ... you might loose choke capability on the bell?... but not a biggie.

In fact I now think that such cymbals may work just fine with MegaDrum without loosing functionality, like choke ability, provided physical separation between bow and bell piezos is reasonably good. Just with such cymbals for the choke to work properly the bow/edge input should be configured like for a 3 zone Yamaha style cymbal and the Note for the bell on the second input must be set to the same note as BNote of the edge channel of the main input. Also the bow/edge input and the bell input should be placed in the same XTalk suppression group.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby Jman » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:26 pm

dmitri:
By the way the Piezo/Piezo/Switch 3 zone ride like the Smartrigger works with the Roland modules... like the TD-12 and TD-20 ... on the module the pad type is not set to a 3 zone type pad like the CY-15R ..... the pad type is set to a Piezo/Switch type for each of the 2 TRS inputs then the sounds have to be reassigned ... and 3 way triggering is set to off..... but it works fine with it .... So if the Megadrum presently works for the Roland 3 zone it may be that it will also work with the Smartrigger type?? something that someone with a ST 3 zone ride would have to check out though...

Sorry, I was typing at the same time as you.... so yeah, looks like someone just needs to test out a Smartrigger style, it may work.
Jman

Return to Off topic