The spectre of uselessness

Anything at least distantly related to MegaDrum

The spectre of uselessness

Postby Ken Forgettable » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:40 pm

Eight years ago I had my Simmons kit going into an Archimedes and had the kit tuning controlled by what the bass player was doing although we never quite worked out what that was though because the interface was a hacked guitar tuner :)

The samples were tootaboo, the pads were crap; along came mesh practice heads, Simmons plastic crosstalk trays got blown away when Roland gave the world a foam cone and then Native Instruments did Battery.

So clock still ticking; I had a Pearl bigger than even sythex's! Now it's smaller but even better thanks to our host and replacing the 24" bass with a custom build and I may be missing something, but here's the but...

Meld sythex's multiplexers and USB with PC based software like e-trigger and what have you got - not much.

Anyone thinking what I'm thinking?
Ken Forgettable

Re: The spectre of uselessness

Postby ole_hansen » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:30 am

i don't follow you at all... :(

sorry - but what are you trying to say?
i just don't get it, sorry...
ole_hansen

Postby jman 31 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:55 am

ole_hansen wrote:i don't follow you at all... :(

sorry - but what are you trying to say?
i just don't get it, sorry...

Yeah me either, you lost me..... :?
jman 31

Postby Ken Forgettable » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:06 pm

I'm thinking someone somewhere is bound to do a brain transplant.
They are going to take the brain from the trigger unit and put it in a PC as an app' - just like e-trigger.

If e-trigger exposed it's input method to some sort of simple plugin API (it already can take Joystick, Keyboard and Mouse Input) then perhaps Dmitri may do a port of his signal processing code.

The hardware just needs to tap off the output signals from the multiplexers and pass them unprocessed via USB/SPDIF into the PC.

... be gentle with me please!
Ken Forgettable

Postby dmitri » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:33 pm

Ken Forgettable wrote:I'm thinking someone somewhere is bound to do a brain transplant.
They are going to take the brain from the trigger unit and put it in a PC as an app' - just like e-trigger.

If e-trigger exposed it's input method to some sort of simple plugin API (it already can take Joystick, Keyboard and Mouse Input) then perhaps Dmitri may do a port of his signal processing code.

The hardware just needs to tap off the output signals from the multiplexers and pass them unprocessed via USB/SPDIF into the PC.

... be gentle with me please!

And where is the ADC processing going to be done?
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby Ken Forgettable » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:14 pm

dmitri wrote:And where is the ADC processing going to be done?

I was thinking to virtualise as much as possible with the plugin managing a buffer of interleaved samples taken from the sound card ADC - thats 16 channels...

However, emulating any parts of the hardware for your algorithm to work as a plugin (eg. the quantize units of AREF) may not be worth the effort; Gain for instance might be controlled by a SysEx.

In such cases I'd be looking to see how much it would be possible to decouple the actual signal processing from the rest of the code.

I'd be inclined to move over the user interface (for sure) along with most of the lower level parameters affecting the algorithm itself - in fact the main body of the code!

...there are other Giants shoulders too; just over here
Ken Forgettable

Return to Off topic