Hi-hat solutions for dtx502?

Anything at least distantly related to MegaDrum

Hi-hat solutions for dtx502?

Postby johnohod » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:22 pm

I have recently bought a Yamaha DTX522k kit, and I really don’t like the fixed rubber hi-hat. I’ve been searching high and low for other options, trying to find a solution that has real moving triggered hi-hats. Something like Jobeky hi-hat controller seems nice, but it's not compatible with Yamaha modules.

Is there anybody who has working nice hi-hats for the DTX502 module? Or is my only option to buy RHH135?
johnohod

Re: Hi-hat solutions for dtx502?

Postby ignotus » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:50 pm

Check this out, I reckon it should work with your module, though you can also ask on that thread to make sure. It's an extremely simple and cheap design that apparently works very well.
If it ain't broken... fix it until it is.
ignotus

Postby johnohod » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:54 am

Yes, I've actually been looking at that post before. But then I have to build something that may or may not work :)

I wonder if this could be placed under the foot pedal of a regular hihat stand?
http://www.alternatemode.com/triggers/ehat.shtml

Then you only need a triggered cymbal as the top hi-hat together with a regular bottom hi-hat?
johnohod

Postby ignotus » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:19 am

You can ask on the thread whether it'll work with your module; I'm sure they'll be able to tell you whether it does or not, though I'm willing to bet it does. That device you linked to looks like it actually uses the very same system - a fsr under a piece of foam and a piezo under some rubber for the chick. I think the latter is totally unnecessary as the module (I suppose Yamaha modules do the same) calculates the chick velocity from the speed at which you close the pedal. And that feature might not be compatible with your module anyway. If you read through the thread, what some people do is just put the fsr under their hi hat pedal with some foam on top to apply pressure on it, and use a regular triggered cymbal as the hi hat, like you say. Hi hat controllers are one of the easiest and cheapest parts of an edrum to DIY with reliable results, with the added bonus of being able to use a regular hi hat stand instead of having to make a pedal controller. As far as I'm concerned it's a no-brainer.
If it ain't broken... fix it until it is.
ignotus

Postby johnohod » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:10 pm

You are probably right, maybe I'll try it. Have to find a not to expensive solution for the rest of the hi-hat though, I'll have to buy both stand and cymbals. But what I don't get is, if this is such an easy build, why are there so few ready made options to buy?
johnohod

Return to Off topic