DIY 3 zone cymbal v2

Anything at least distantly related to MegaDrum

Re: DIY 3 zone cymbal v2

Postby ignotus » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:05 pm

Hi,

1.- No problem using several piezos - retrigger settings etc are pretty normal, similar to pads with 1 piezo.

2.- Yes, I forgot to do it in the video, but the edge also functions as a choke.

3.- I don't own any branded cymbals so I couldn't really say. My guess is that they are probably a bit louder than a Roland or Yamaha rubber cymbal because they just have a 1mm layer of rubber on them. I suppose you could just use thicker rubber or more layers to reduce noise more. On the plus side, I like the feel a lot; they almost feel like an acoustic cymbal. I used to have an acoustic cymbal covered in EVA and rubber and hated the rubbery, spongy feel. What does tend to make a bit more noise is when you hit the bell, because of the plastic hitting plastic. I've thought of ways to get rid of that but to be honest it doesn't really bother me that much as I play with headphones and can barely hear it. The edge is quite silent. In the other thread where I posted about the previous version there is a video - in the second half of the video you can hear the ambient noise of the cymbal.
If it ain't broken... fix it until it is.
ignotus

Postby ulfaxx » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:55 am

Ignotus, its been awhile now and I guess its more then me who wonder how its holding to your beating ?

I dont have any practice cymbals but a heap of entry level brass cymbals. Im thinking of trying something similar with them.
ulfaxx

Postby ignotus » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:22 am

They're still working fine - no failures and no marks on the vinyl. You could do it with brass cymbals and if you have 2 that are exactly the same size it would be indestructible and you wouldn't need copper tape or anything as the cymbals themselves are conductive. The only thing is, if you want to make 3 zones, you'd have to cut the top cymbal all around its circumference at one point to separate the bell/edge zones. Still, I think it's perfectly doable and would be very durable.

I'm waiting on materials to arrive to make some minor improvements to mine- the aim is to make them more silent and to protect the edge, as I don't think the vinyl will hold out forever there.
ignotus

Postby ulfaxx » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:42 am

Indestructible ... and heavy as hell. And weight is a concern I have. I might start with only 1/3 of the cymbal. I want 18 or 20 inch 3 zone ride. I've been thinking about making the upper cymbal from a lexan sheet I got. But worried it may break to easy. I like the idea of bolting together for maintenance reasons. But bolting would need isolation if I do a double brass sandwich.
ulfaxx

Postby airflamesred » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:51 am

Just a thought guys, Is it not possible to add weights to a plastic/rubber assembly to get a natural swing feeling?

koby drums - Triggera krigg/Bix - megadrum - Kontakt........... Samples from all and sundry.
airflamesred

Postby ignotus » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:58 am

ulfaxx wrote:Indestructible ... and heavy as hell. And weight is a concern I have. I might start with only 1/3 of the cymbal. I want 18 or 20 inch 3 zone ride.
ulfaxx wrote:But bolting would need isolation if I do a double brass sandwich.

Yes, two 18" or 20" cymbals sandwiched together would be quite heavy. You can get nylon screws and bolts but I don't know if they can withstand much tightening.
airflamesred wrote:Just a thought guys, Is it not possible to add weights to a plastic/rubber assembly to get a natural swing feeling?

With two practice cymbals bolted together + rubber, the weight and feel is actually quite similar to a regular cymbal.
ignotus

Postby A-D-R-I-A-N » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:03 am

Hi, ignotus

I have some questions about connecting piezos and switches to megadrum. I found on vdrums forum that you wrote about making difference between bell and edge switch using 10k resistor in series - but i don't understand that, English is not my primary language :( . How many of them (resistors) have you used? Could you explain something more about connecting/wiring, if you can of course.

Thanks, Adrian
A-D-R-I-A-N

Postby ignotus » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:51 am

Megadrum can tell the difference between bell/edge because the edge is connected to the jack ring through a 10k resistor in series (edge copper -> 10k resistor -> ring). Both the bell and edge copper go to ring, but the edge with this resistor - there's just one. Below is an image with notes showing where everything goes.
wiring.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ignotus

Postby A-D-R-I-A-N » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:43 am

Hi,

Thank you very much, that is what i wanted.
A-D-R-I-A-N

Postby privatex » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:49 pm

Good job ignotus! Principles are simple it's just matter of fabrication and materials. You doing good work here, keep it going.
privatex

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic