DIY backrest for drum throne

Anything at least distantly related to MegaDrum

DIY backrest for drum throne

Postby ignotus » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:40 am

Hi,

Due to constant back pains I made myself a backrest for my drum throne the other day. One of our kitchen chairs collapsed and I decided to recycle it.

Here's what it looked like before cutting it:
backrest_1.jpeg

I unscrewed the metal bracket the shaft of the stool base inserts into and screwed it onto the chair.

After cutting it, I screwed on the top half of the backrest to the bottom half as it was a bit too far back. Padding was added later for comfort and to get it closer for better support:
backrest_2.jpg

Here it is finished. Sorry, but I don't have any pics of the padding - I used some insulation material that is quite firm and that I had left over from making a platform for the e-kit. Did some testing to get the thickness, height and distance right for good comfort as it is not adjustable later. I then covered it all with part of an old handbag that the missus had at home and which was a perfect fit:
backrest_3.jpg

Does the job great and at zero cost. The chair is from Ikea and the seat part (without legs) can be bought for around 12 euros.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If it ain't broken... fix it until it is.
ignotus

Re: DIY backrest for drum throne

Postby airflamesred » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:29 pm

Nice job, now tell me, at what height do you have that set at?

koby drums - Triggera krigg/Bix - megadrum - Kontakt........... Samples from all and sundry.
airflamesred

Re: DIY backrest for drum throne

Postby ignotus » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:21 am

You mean the seat? I don't know... about 20cm above my knee. It might look higher than it actually is (I'm not particularly tall); my crappy phone camera does weird things to the perspective.
If it ain't broken... fix it until it is.
ignotus

Return to Off topic