Just got my MegaDrum Lite Kit!

Anything at least distantly related to MegaDrum

Just got my MegaDrum Lite Kit!

Postby snowfall » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:56 pm

Hi All,
First post here. I just got the kit (thanks, Dmitri!) and plugged it in -- seems good, recognized by MD manager, so now I have to wire up all the inputs and put it into an enclosure. I'm pretty much a newb at this though. I have some experience breadboarding arduino stuff, but none with putting things in an actual box like this. So, I'm running into some problems, like how to mount the usb connector so that it doesn't break off. The attached pic shows what I'm planning to do. Basically, I took a piece of thin wood, used a chisel to scoop out a hole for the back side of the pcb, and then epoxied the pcb onto the wood. Then I epoxied another piece of pcb below the one with the usb connector, and finally, screwed in three standoffs to the enlarged board. These standoffs will be flush with the outside of the enclosure, and screwed into that also, so that it will be (hopefully) rock solid. So, my question is, am I just going overboard with this? Is there a better way to do this? I spent hours on mouser and digikey looking for better solutions, but came up empty. Any advice is appreciated!
- snow

IMG_20150718_192827.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
snowfall

Re: Just got my MegaDrum Lite Kit!

Postby airflamesred » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:02 am

Looks fine to me.

koby drums - Triggera krigg/Bix - megadrum - Kontakt........... Samples from all and sundry.
airflamesred

Postby Jorns Bergenson » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:36 am

Here's what I used for a clean and solid USB connector. Cheap at $1.50US

I chopped off the male end and tossed it. Then I stripped and tinned the individual wires, used a multimeter to ring them out back to the female end and soldered the wires to a 4-pin connector that connected to MDM's USB connector. The female end mounts behind a panel easily as long as you can make the rectangular cutout. I just drilled a hole and used a nibbler to make it rectangular.

eBay: USB-2.0-B Male to USB-B Female Panel Connector Adapter Cable
Last edited by Jorns Bergenson on Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
MegaDrum sets for home, studio, church using Yamaha PCY100, PCY135, PCY150, PCY60 cymbals, cake pan trigger snare and toms, Alesis hihat controllers converted to hall effect, Addictive Drums and Superior Drummer VSTIs
Jorns Bergenson

Postby snowfall » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:56 pm

Jorns, I looked at that too. I think that's a better solution, but too late now, I already drilled the enclosure :)
snowfall

Return to Off topic