which piezo freq. should i use for diy e-drums?

Anything at least distantly related to MegaDrum

which piezo freq. should i use for diy e-drums?

Postby redbullah » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:16 am

i've been searching the net for piezo elements for my diy e-drums but got confused by different frequency values of them. they vary from 600 hz to 6000 hz if i'm not wrong. which one is the best for drum triggers and what difference does it make? eg. the higher the better, or vice versa?
redbullah

Re: which piezo freq. should i use for diy e-drums?

Postby ibanman555 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:25 pm

redbullah wrote:i've been searching the net for piezo elements for my diy e-drums but got confused by different frequency values of them. they vary from 600 hz to 6000 hz if i'm not wrong. which one is the best for drum triggers and what difference does it make? eg. the higher the better, or vice versa?

Piezo elements are used in the reverse manner for the rest of the world. They are merely speakers, that produce a high pitched annoying noise, used for alarms and buzzers. The frequency you are referring to is the actual 'frequency pitch' they produce when used for such things. It makes no difference when using with edrums, as they just produce a voltage when struck. The larger the piezo, the more voltage it will produce. If you use, say 35mm piezo's, you may have to lessen the voltage using resistors, as the signal will be too hot.
ibanman555

Return to Off topic