airflamesred megadrum adventure

Anything at least distantly related to MegaDrum

Re: airflamesred megadrum adventure

Postby airflamesred » Wed May 20, 2015 8:33 pm

I have found the solution to quieten the Duallist D4.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_i-h3N7_n4

Gear run through on the way.

koby drums - Triggera krigg/Bix - megadrum - Kontakt........... Samples from all and sundry.
airflamesred

Postby airflamesred » Fri May 22, 2015 5:59 pm

And the 2 drumtec pedals needed rebuilding. The 2mm base plate has been replaced with 5mm but cut to suit so no heavier.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

koby drums - Triggera krigg/Bix - megadrum - Kontakt........... Samples from all and sundry.
airflamesred

Postby airflamesred » Thu May 28, 2015 6:51 pm

airflamesred

Postby ignotus » Thu May 28, 2015 8:36 pm

Very cool man! All those pads make it possible to trigger so many sounds... It got me thinking about stuff like thunder, spoken tracks, machinery, overlapping loops with all kinds of percussive and melodic stuff... The possibilities are endless!
If it ain't broken... fix it until it is.
ignotus

Postby dmitri » Thu May 28, 2015 8:54 pm

Wow! I would be lost in much less then half of your pads!
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby airflamesred » Thu May 28, 2015 9:12 pm

Well, to be fair, Dmitri, I get overwhelmed at a 5 drum kit because it has expectations. This beast doesn't have that and is very inspirational. I only chose this simple. Piece to get the monkey off my back, so to speak. More interesting stuff to come. Thanks guys.

airflamesred

Postby privatex » Sun May 31, 2015 3:21 pm

As I said once is't similar story to the Terry Bozzio kinda thing. He play on massive drum set and his osstinatos with foots while playing melodic pieces with hands are legendary. He says that it is very inspirational kit, you get out of traditional framework and open great world of percussions (I love percussions because I play them for almost all my life). Samples gives you another door opened so really you can do what ever you want and it is ok for sure, whatever you like to play and it feels good.
Good work 'red, keep it that way.
privatex

Postby airflamesred » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:35 am

Although I'm happy with this set up a couple of things needed addressing.

Too heavy, Unfortunately, both the cymbals and cymbal stands have had to go. This saved 80kg.
The take up/down was over an hour so I redesigned the frame - pics to follow.

Here are the new barrel cymbals
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

airflamesred

Postby airflamesred » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:35 am

And the version 2
So this is lighter and much quicker to take up/down, I can leave a lot of the cables in place.

airflamesred

Postby Elegantdrum » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:40 am

Very cool, I wish you luck! this would put a smile on Bill Bruford's face.

You're right in that the mounting of the drums on a rack system is the cost/benefit crux of the project.

I'm a sheet metal designer by day and have some structural experience. Here are a few Idea's off the top of my head.

I would think about the stand this way:
1. Individual mounting will allow better positioning and less cross talk.........i.e. the "slickness" of the final result. Are you willing to sacrifice this for cost?
2. Just off the top of my head I see a few choices for materials: Steel (pipe, sheet, tube), aluminum, Wood, PVC pipe. Unless your a welder, I would not go with metal for the main cross bar/beam unless you can weld whatever metal your using.
3. With all three materials, I would look at how I could still use some kind of standard elbow, yet make the main cross beam curved. If the main cross beam is the right curve, smaller leverage arms to each drum will help with point #1.
4. Here is an idea for a curved cross beam, but I don't think it works with PVC elbows because the elbows would not slide easily enough on the curve: Say you start with a PVC pipe. get a cable and connect at both ends. tension the cable until you have the curve you want. then fill with concrete (Expansion from cure problem solved with foam and holes). Once dry, you have a cheap curved beam that's solid and strong. 2 or 4 Cables should be running through the tube close, but not at, the edges. The cables act like re-bar for a concrete building. If the mixture inside is right, you may even be able to add tension to the cable after cure and arrive at pre-stressed concrete.
5. For the individual attachments, you could inset/insert some coupling (PVC or Metal female threads) at each attachment point, that ends up cemented in place. Then use a piece of metal strip with a hole at both ends to connect to each drum. each drum would have a single nut inside. bend up metal bars for each drum position. A hack saw or motorized equivalent can cut metal bar from stock and drill some holes. grinding the corners would also be needed. then paint to prevent rust.

I hope this spurs a better result. Again....good looks. that looks really cool.

I'm kinda the other direction for an E-kit. I'm going for the feel of a real kit, rather than pitches, rolls, and lots of sounds.
Elegantdrum

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic