Arduino based midi drum lights

Anything at least distantly related to MegaDrum

Arduino based midi drum lights

Postby jman 31 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:56 pm

I have teamed up with a programmer to develop an Arduino based DIY MIDI light show. It will be ready soon. It has a 16x2 LCD screen with a five button interface much like the Megadrum. It has adjustments for duration, trigger and a choice of one of three colors in each trigger. There are two led driver boards that have a total of fourty lights available. The way it is set up now, there will be 13 triggers with the choice of 3 lights for each trigger. Eventually I would like to incorporate a RGB adjustment to be able to get any hue you want, but that will be done in the programming.

Here is a picture of the first prototype hardware that I designed. The Arduino is the small board plugged in upside down to the mother board. The LED driver board shown in the first picture will drive 12volt LED strands. The standard LED's shown are just for testing purposes. A relay board would be needed to drive mains lighting, which may be in the works.

MIDI Prototype.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jman 31

Re: Arduino based midi drum lights

Postby jman 31 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:06 pm

Here is a video of the lights in action. We finally got all of the programming done and have a working prototype.

TRIGGER LIGHTS VIDEO
jman 31

Postby StevieG » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:38 pm

I want one :D

For us less able kind will there be a kit?

I'm an asymbler not an electronic wizard like you guys ;)
StevieG

Postby jman 31 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:58 pm

StevieG wrote:I want one :D

I'm an assembler not an electronic wizard like you guys ;)

Yeah. I am working on a kit right now. I needed a working prototype to make sure all my theories were correct. I am looking for a good PCB manufacturer right now to have the boards made. I will put together a total cost of the kit once I find out how much the boards are going to cost.
jman 31

Postby StevieG » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:11 pm

jman 31 wrote:
StevieG wrote:I want one :D

I'm an assembler not an electronic wizard like you guys ;)

Yeah. I am working on a kit right now. I needed a working prototype to make sure all my theories were correct. I am looking for a good PCB manufacturer right now to have the boards made. I will put together a total cost of the kit once I find out how much the boards are going to cost.

Sweet
StevieG

Postby jman 31 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:59 pm

You can email me at jer_ulm@yahoo.com if you are interested in one

Here are some 3D renderings of the boards. Main board, LED driver board and Kepad/LCD display board.

jman 31

Postby jman 31 » Tue May 25, 2010 9:14 pm

Here are some pics of the power leds at work with Midi Knights. These are some inserts I made for someone that wanted a complete working unit. These are very time consuming to make, but the final outcome is very cool. I took all of the pics with a flash except for the very bright blurry one. That is actual light from the unit.

jman 31

Postby jman 31 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:54 pm

Boards are in and I am really happy with the way they came out. I am waiting on one more set of parts and these bad boys can start to go out!!!

Here are some pics. I stuck some components in just to make sure all of the fits were spot on.

jman 31

Postby jman 31 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:43 pm

My first complete Midi-Lights module. I have drawn a lot of inspiration from the Megadrum project for the design and implementation of this project. This will work wonderfully with the Megadrum, so some of you might want to include it in your enclosure! :mrgreen: I think that I may rehouse my Megadrum with it in a rack mount case at some point.

jman 31

Postby jman 31 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:40 pm

Here's a little video I made of the Kit in action. The quality of the video is not very good, but you can get an idea of the capabilities of the module. I finally started sending out kits this week!
jman 31

Next

Return to Off topic