MIDI of USB?

Anything at least distantly related to MegaDrum

MIDI of USB?

Postby kitudacbietpro » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:29 am

I can only imagine this refers to the possible latency between the device (MegaDrum in this case) and the PC software in use. Maybe USB has a slight overhead?

How is this statement true or false for MegaDrum?
kitudacbietpro

Re: MIDI of USB?

Postby dmitri » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:04 am

Sorry, what is the statement?
dmitri
Site Admin

Re: MIDI of USB?

Postby Aethr » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:28 pm

kitudacbietpro wrote:I can only imagine this refers to the possible latency between the device (MegaDrum in this case) and the PC software in use. Maybe USB has a slight overhead?

How is this statement true or false for MegaDrum?

Any latency experienced would have to do with the audio engine running on your PC. You'll have to find the buffer size that works best with your hardware. MIDI itself is basically instantaneous, since the data it transfers is simple messages.
There also shouldn't be much of a difference between MIDI data transferred over USB vs 5-pin. However, I have had buggy behavior when sending clock data to my System-1 via USB MIDI, and no issue when I switched to receiving from my interface's MIDI Out.
For my edrums, I've also been using 5-pin MIDI, mostly because I didn't have any free USB ports. I've since gotten a hub, so once I get my MegaDrum, I'll be switching to USB MIDI, because it doesn't make sense to use a MIDI cable anymore, now that there is a USB connection providing both power and MIDI.
So my recommendation is to use just the USB connection unless you are out of ports on your computer, or if your use case is to have the MegaDrum also trigger a standalone drum module.
Aethr

Return to Off topic