Sources?

Discussions of any related software

Moderator: Related software moderators

Sources?

Postby elrules » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:35 am

I saw doing a search on the forum that on August you hadn't made your mind yet, about publishing the source.

Have you thought about it?

As other people said, megadrum will become better if the code is shared. It would be the same as Linux. The more people thinking in the same problems, the higher probability to make the megadrum advance

Just a suggestion

Keep megadrumming!
elrules

Re: Sources?

Postby dmitri » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:09 am

Once I feel that I struggle with coding I'll make it open source. If someone has doubts about my programming skills he/she can make a search for "Dmitri Skachkov" in Google and one of the first links will lead you to Just Reader. You can grab source code there, GPLed by the way, and inspect it although I should say I did it quite some time ago.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby elrules » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:46 pm

If you feel I am saying I have doubts about your programming skills it has been a misunderstood, cause I appreciate a lot your work, and I think nobody but you knows the code better. I'm sure you have more skills than me programming PICs. The only thing I tried to do is suggest you that maybe it would be beneficial for the project to let people express their ideas, having a source code so they can understand how exactly megadrum works to accurately express those ideas. Nobody is going to steel your project. Is it your pride? or the money you earn with Donate button? When I have finished building my megadrum and I find that it works as well as everyone built it says, I plan to donate. Even if (supposing the sources are shared) I modify the code to add another function or modify an existing one to customize the module to my needs, even then, I will still donate, cause the work you have done with megadrum is very valuable.

Please don't think I doubt about you. And if you thought I meant that, I apologize.
elrules

Postby dmitri » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:49 pm

elrules wrote:If you feel I am saying I have doubts about your programming skills it has been a misunderstood, cause I appreciate a lot your work, and I think nobody but you knows the code better. I'm sure you have more skills than me programming PICs. The only thing I tried to do is suggest you that maybe it would be beneficial for the project to let people express their ideas, having a source code so they can understand how exactly megadrum works to accurately express those ideas. Nobody is going to steel your project.

I'm well aware of where open source is beneficial for a project and where it is not. For now I decided it is not beneficial for MegaDrum project. And as I said several times already it may change in the future. If I change my mind I will let everyone know about. Pushing for it won't make any difference.

Is it your pride?

Pride in what?

or the money you earn with Donate button?

Let me check my paypal account...None so far:) And where could it come from if only like 2 and half persons built MegaDrum up to now. May be it is not as good as it seems after all:)

When I have finished building my megadrum and I find that it works as well as everyone built it says, I plan to donate. Even if (supposing the sources are shared) I modify the code to add another function or modify an existing one to customize the module to my needs, even then, I will still donate, cause the work you have done with megadrum is very valuable.

Please don't think I doubt about you. And if you thought I meant that, I apologize.

No need to apologize since I don't see any offense. On the contrary I've only seen constructive suggestions from you... well, apart from pushing for open source:)
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby stevewahl » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:20 am

Dimitri,
I don't want to start off on the wrong foot, and I know it's completely up to you if you release your software open source or not. And that pestering you isn't going to help any.

I just have one aspect of this that you may not have considered. Opening up the source would make this project more attractive to at least some potential builders.

Why? Because then we would know the time and effort put into building the project will never be potentially stranded if you should lose interest in upgrading the software at some future point in time. I know you suggest that you might release source if that becomes the case, but things can happen that would leave you unable or unwilling to do so.

I've got a kit based on an Alesis D4 right now, and it's likely I'll eventually add another triger to midi interface, or just replace it; I would really like a variable hi-hat input, and some of the dual zone stuff that newer modules are doing would be neat as well. Something like a Roland TD-3,6, or 8 probably, but me being an embedded software engineer who knows which end of the soldering iron to grab, the megadrum has its appeal as well. So I thought you should at least know that "is the software open sourced" is one of the first things I dived into the documentation and forums to look for.

I'm sure this probably won't sway you in the least, but thanks for reading it anyway!
stevewahl

Postby dmitri » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:34 am

Yep, I've read it.
dmitri
Site Admin

Return to Related Software