Post your successful trigger settings

Discussions of any related software

Moderator: Related software moderators

Re: Post your successful trigger settings

Postby dmitri » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:16 pm

EURO wrote:Ok, I've given it about 8 hours and I'm still not making much progress. Perhaps I'm expecting a level of ease of use that is not really practical with this device (I'm not really an engineer, just a drummer).

Main issues

Issues so far

1. Hi hat (Roland VH11)

a)I am unable to get any chick or splash detection - it just detects bow notes - chick delay is set 0, thresh short is 0 and thresh long is 19 (I don't understand what these last thresh settings do)
b)I am unable to get the open and closed range any greater than 61-119 - curve is log4, low level is 11 high level is 145
c)I am unable to get superior to detect the full range of open and closed sounds - when the hat is fully open superior still triggers the half open sounds. Like I said my pedal outputs between 61 and 119. I have open level at 65 and closed at 95 I have set up the hat up according to the superior manual

Most likely, LowLevel and HighLevel for the pedal are not set correctly and as result it doesn't produce full CC range between open and closed. Of course, if it doesn't produce full range, chick/splash/ and open/mid/closed sounds won't be properly produced.

2. Snare and toms (PD125 and PD105)

a) These pads seem too hot for my Megadrum. With high level at full I am still triggering 127 velocity midi notes about half way through my dynamic range as a player.
b) Unable to get rim shots working properly, I understand this is a less-developed part of the module. Have resorted to using the rim as a separate pad and assigning the rim shot sound to it. As I play Jazz, I would have liked to assign that to rim only.

For rim shots to work correctly, it is important to both head and rim piezos to be not too hot. In your case, if even with Gain set to 0 (or even when AllGainsLow set to Yes) your pads are too hot, you need to "cool" them both down with a resistor divider.

3, Ride (PCY 155)
b) My bell hits are registering as rim notes
c) My edge hits are not registering at all

How did you configure it? My PCY135 works fine with bow/edge/bell zones being registered correctly.

Currently I am able to get a somewhat ok kit set up by compromising in various areas, but it's definiely not close to the level of articulation I have experienced playing a TD12 module.

It appears you just haven't found the right settings for your kit yet.

P.S. I'm away till 23rd so I won't be able to give any help until then.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby dmitri » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:42 pm

I also hope you've carefully read the description of all MegaDrum settings in http://www.megadrum.info/content/megadrum-configuration and please have a look at viewtopic.php?f=3&t=352.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby EURO » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:28 pm

dmitri wrote:Most likely, LowLevel and HighLevel for the pedal are not set correctly and as result it doesn't produce full CC range between open and closed. Of course, if it doesn't produce full range, chick/splash/ and open/mid/closed sounds won't be properly produced.

I've tried several settings for lowlevel and high level. I have the curve set to log4 which is the only way I can get anything more than a movement of 10 points on the pedal position. I will try again tomorrow. Would people recommend working on the level settings with a linear curve first, or getting a curve with some movement and then adjusting the levels?

dmitri wrote:How did you configure it? My PCY135 works fine with bow/edge/bell zones being registered correctly.

I've tried numerous configurations. It might be faster to cut to the chase and have you take a quick screengrab of your MCT for that cymbal? :)
EURO

Postby kurtus420 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:18 am

For the pcy-155, set your edge threshold to 50 and the bthreshold to 30 and you should be able to get aftertouch messages out of the bell and bow now, as far as configuring it for the best dynamics.......I haven't quite got there yet.
EURO wrote:
dmitri wrote:Most likely, LowLevel and HighLevel for the pedal are not set correctly and as result it doesn't produce full CC range between open and closed. Of course, if it doesn't produce full range, chick/splash/ and open/mid/closed sounds won't be properly produced.

I've tried several settings for lowlevel and high level. I have the curve set to log4 which is the only way I can get anything more than a movement of 10 points on the pedal position. I will try again tomorrow. Would people recommend working on the level settings with a linear curve first, or getting a curve with some movement and then adjusting the levels?

dmitri wrote:How did you configure it? My PCY135 works fine with bow/edge/bell zones being registered correctly.

I've tried numerous configurations. It might be faster to cut to the chase and have you take a quick screengrab of your MCT for that cymbal? :)
56 input Megadrum644, Tama Iron Cobra, Taye, Sonor, Roland, Yamaha, Gibraltar, Tascam.
kurtus420

Postby gabriel1712 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:41 am

Yamaha 3-zone success!

I have used my 3-zone Yamaha CY155 as a 2-zone for several months now and finally got around to dig up the whole solution in various threads.

IMPORTANT: Turn the cymbals build-in pot all the way down, except for a notch. [Mine is turned 15 degrees from lowest].

Use Gain and HiLvl to get consistent full volumn (120-127) from hard hits.

Adjust 'Curves' if same input returns different volumn output.

This setting is good but not perfect: It has great dynamics on bow, ok dynamics on bell and edge. Soft edge will often trigger bow notes. So still some threshold tinkering to do, but you should be able to get a valid starting point for tweaking.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I use 'AltFalseTrSupp:YES'
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by gabriel1712 on Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"the woods are lovely, dark and deep
but I have promises to keep
and miles to go before I sleep..."
gabriel1712

Postby kurtus420 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:10 pm

Thanks for posting this, very helpful!!
gabriel1712 wrote:Yamaha 3-zone success!

I have used my 3-zone Yamaha CY155 as a 2-zone for several months now and finally got around to dig up the whole solution in various threads.

IMPORTANT: Turn the cymbals build-in pot all the way down, except for a notch. [Mine is turned 15 degrees from lowest].

Use Gain and HiLvl to get consistent full volumn (120-127) from hard hits.

Adjust 'Curves' if same input returns different volumn output.

This setting is good but not perfect: It has great dynamics on bow, ok dynamics on bell and edge. Soft edge will often trigger bow notes. So still some threshold tinkering to do, but you should be able to get a valid starting point for tweaking.
56 input Megadrum644, Tama Iron Cobra, Taye, Sonor, Roland, Yamaha, Gibraltar, Tascam.
kurtus420

Postby Towser » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:39 pm

yes thx gab, every addition is a valuable one even if there's some tinkering left to obtain ideal results. And personaly I don't use Yammies but I'm just glad to see this thread keeping on going.

I strongly encourage anyone to post their settings this way, whether they have satisfying results or not. If they do, it's a great starting point for any new MD owner and if the settings leave something to be desired, it's a lot easier for others and Dmitri to point out where adjustments can be made...

As the list of brands and models grow (and not counting DIY pads), it's helpful in many ways to document & compare our settings. I intend to preach by example and post my settings for a Roland PDX-8 (that's the only piece I own that isnt already documented on this thread) as soon as I set it up for dual-trig since I just didnt bother with it yet with my weeks spent mostly working. I had too much rim detect and it would completely screw with the dynamics of the skin velocity. When it's on single trig, I get OK velocity, quiet ghost and slamming hards, the middle is kind of wild still though. I guess lows ad highs are ok, but the mids need so more work in the curve there too.
I intend to RTFM for the third time before getting in it deeper.

But thanks to you guys I know I'm not alone and it's encouraging to think that some new users won't have to go through this again once someone find a sweet spot, one model/brand at a time.

So keep it up and thanks for the good work guys!
Towser

Postby gabriel1712 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:37 am

Here's the link all my settings, with comments on tweaks to-do.
"the woods are lovely, dark and deep
but I have promises to keep
and miles to go before I sleep..."
gabriel1712

Postby Ken Forgettable » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:28 am

Towser wrote:I strongly encourage anyone to post their settings this way, whether they have satisfying results or not. If they do, it's a great starting point for any new MD owner and if the settings leave something to be desired, it's a lot easier for others and Dmitri to point out where adjustments can be made...

erules could add this stuff as presets in MCT ;)
Ken Forgettable

Postby elrules » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:10 pm

I was waiting till I had several settings so that feature is worth it.
elrules

PreviousNext

Return to Related Software