Post your successful trigger settings

Discussions of any related software

Moderator: Related software moderators

Re: Post your successful trigger settings

Postby Sabre » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:00 pm

Interesting.
I would have thought you'd get a wider range using the high impedance setting with a Roland product.
Nevertheless, I would love to get the high-hat response you are getting with your VH-11. It sounds really good to me.

Even though I'd love to have a VH-11, I'm pretty happy with my FD-8 and CY-5 setup. Now I just need to get my CY-8's dialed in. The more I tweak them (dual zone, Set All EdgeSw) the less sensitive/consistent they seem to be. On the other hand, I'm loving the PCY-13 I've recently added, and I can see more Yamaha cymbals in my future. With regard to my hi-hat, eventually I hope to try either the FSR project from the V-drum forums, or more likely the optical project that users here seem to have great results with. Dmitri makes it sound dead simple... and cheap. Just like me. ;)
Sabre

Postby talrusher » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:09 pm

angr77 wrote:Hi! I did as you said Sabre and ended up with lowlevel on 44 and highlevel on 181. I think it is still is very limited in dynamic in the range between closed and open.

Lissen for yourself: http://soundcloud.com/powerhell/hihat_tests
My latest MDS file can be downloaded here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fqh9xf74ley12 ... UMV4_9.mds

wow, think it Sound much much better.
with your footcontroller , i had the same Problem. have a footcontroller from Roland. i simply cut out the ring(in my md module) and soldered it with a 10k poti to the tip. now have a range from 44 to 850 or even more, dont wanna lie ;)
Here I stand in the falling rain
There is no joy inside these tears
I see the world through a twisted and bitter stare
To be where I have been... to see what I have seen
Is it a dream?
Or can I believe...
The memories will haunt me for evermore
talrusher

Postby angr77 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:53 pm

Hi Talrusher. Was it a 10k varialble or fixed pot? How much do you need to add in terms of resistance?

Best Regards

Anders
Sonor, Drum-Tec heads, Roland CY14, CY12&15R, 2x BT-1 & VH11, 12, 13, Triggera D11, 2xD14, Pintech Dingbat, Letric Moo, Quartz triggers, 2xARM based MegaDRUM, PS Board, M-Audio FT Ultra 8R, Addictive Drums 2.1.6, Surface Pro 5 http://zourman.com
angr77

Postby everson » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:49 pm

I accidentally stumbled upon this post ...
I wonder why talrusher didn`t refer us to it ... He was desperate with his false triggering and after following the tips from that post, he managed to get "f.... good" drums. :)

And, dmitri, you should make it a sticky, or better - put it in the documentation. This is the best possible route to take to get perfect triggering, so if you want to help all future MD newbies - please make those tips more visible.
My Videos
My kit: 6 DIY pads, CY5, PCY135, Hall sensor hihat, krigg - kick pedal trigger, megadrum
everson

Postby angr77 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:23 pm

Agree - the post you refer to is great!!

I think i am going to add a resistor on hihat ctrl input as talrusher has done. Just a question, on the dmitri designed devices..there is a impedance switch...is not this doing or supposed to do the same thing as adding a resistance/pot between the tip/ring?

Best regards

Anders
Sonor, Drum-Tec heads, Roland CY14, CY12&15R, 2x BT-1 & VH11, 12, 13, Triggera D11, 2xD14, Pintech Dingbat, Letric Moo, Quartz triggers, 2xARM based MegaDRUM, PS Board, M-Audio FT Ultra 8R, Addictive Drums 2.1.6, Surface Pro 5 http://zourman.com
angr77

Postby cruiten » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:45 pm

angr77 wrote:Just a question, on the dmitri designed devices..there is a impedance switch...is not this doing or supposed to do the same thing as adding a resistance/pot between the tip/ring?

The impedance switch is not the same as adding a resistor/potentiometer to the ring.

Based on my experience with my MD, which is based on the MegaDrum DIY Full Kit built by Dmitri, the impedance switch basically selects whether the Hi-Impedance Pedal pin (pin 38) or the Low-Impedance Pedal pin (pin 39) is connected to the tip connector of the Hi-Hat Controller input.

It is my understanding that the resistor that is mentioned by talrusher is placed in-line between the Pedal Power pin (pin 40) and the ring connector of the Hi-Hat Controller input.

NOTE: This information is based on how things are working on my MegaDrum. I am aware that this information conflicts with the diagrams on pages 6 and 7 of the MegaDrum Kit Instruction Manual where it shows that the low/hi impedance pin should be connected to the ring and the pedal power ring should be connected to the tip. However, either the instruction manual is wrong, or Dmitri built my MegaDrum kit out of specification.
cruiten

Postby dmitri » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:08 pm

cruiten wrote:
NOTE: This information is based on how things are working on my MegaDrum. I am aware that this information conflicts with the diagrams on pages 6 and 7 of the MegaDrum Kit Instruction Manual where it shows that the low/hi impedance pin should be connected to the ring and the pedal power ring should be connected to the tip. However, either the instruction manual is wrong, or Dmitri built my MegaDrum kit out of specification.

As far as I can see the manual shows that both pedal inputs are wired to tips and the pedal power wired to rings.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby cruiten » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:24 pm

dmitri wrote:As far as I can see the manual shows that both pedal inputs are wired to tips and the pedal power wired to rings.

Hmmm... I must be missing something then because your statement does not make sense to me.

Please take a look at this composite screenshot which combines information from pages 6 and 7 from the MegaDrum kit instruction manual:

MD Wiring.jpg

I will use my Snare drum wiring for this example. I should state that my Snare drum works as expected based on the following wiring diagrams.

As you can see, pin 33 represents the Snare Head and pin 34 represents the Snare Rim.

I have configured all my DIY drums based on the following Piezo to TRS connector diagram at the top of the following image:

TRS Wiring.jpg

Based on this information I have deduced that the TRS pin-out diagram at the bottom of the previous image is the correct TRS connector layout. Specifically, that TRS connector 1 represents the Tip, connector 2 represents the Ring, and connector 3 represents the Sleeve. Is this deduction correct?

If my deduction is correct then based on my first screenshot this means that Pedal Power (Pin 40) is connected to the tip; however, you state that Pedal Power (Pin 40) is connected to the ring... Am I missing something?

In any case, you are correct in stating that the pedal inputs must be connected to the tip and that the pedal power must be connected to the ring. This is exactly what I had to do to make the Pedal work properly. However, I am just not sure how the MegaDrum kit instruction manual diagram represents this information...

Thank you very much for all the hard work that you put into this product/project!!!

Cor Ruiten
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cruiten

Postby dmitri » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:55 pm

In fact it's an error in showing wiring for the Snare and the HiHat cymbal:) Head/Rim and Bow/Edge wires are incorrectly swapped when going to the jacks. I will fix it in the kit's pdf.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby cruiten » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:27 pm

dmitri wrote:In fact it's an error in showing wiring for the Snare and the HiHat cymbal:) Head/Rim and Bow/Edge wires are incorrectly swapped when going to the jacks. I will fix it in the kit's pdf.

Thanks for clearing things up Dmitri! I thought I was going crazy for a bit when it just didn't make sense to me...

For anyone else who might be interested, this means that the connectors/pins in MegaDrum schematics for a TRS symbol are identified as follows:

TRS Pinout.jpg

Thanks again Dimitri.

Cor
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cruiten

PreviousNext

Return to Related Software