Megadrum Controller settings

Discussions of any related software

Moderator: Related software moderators

Megadrum Controller settings

Postby estregan » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:48 pm

Now that we've programmed our ICs with the firmwares. We've tested it with a midi out cable to an external sound module and found that it works ok.

We did not put an LCD screen so we need to use MDC, but now the problem is we don't know what settings to put in the MIDI devices portion. I used the Kawai driver for AVR-CDC. I don't know if "Get settings" button is working because whenever I click on it, nothing new is refreshed on the MDC window.

What's the best setting to use if I'm going to use my pads with Protools and DFHS/EZdrummer?

Thanks!
estregan

Re: Megadrum Controller settings

Postby dmitri » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:03 pm

MegaDrum controller works only with 22 inputs version so I presume you've built Atmega32 based Digital board.
By default MegaDrum uses speed 31250 for midi communication. For AVR-CDC USB board you need to set the speed to 38400. Since you don't have an LCD you will need to hold 'Down' key pressed (or connect pin 7 to ground on Atmega32) while powering MegaDrum up. In this case it will default to the serial speed 38400 rather than the midi speed 31250. Also I'd recommend you to download MIDI-OX to make sure you get MIDI data from MegaDrum.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby estregan » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:59 am

Yes I've built the Atmega32 version with 22 inputs. I will try your suggestion and report back what happens. Thanks again!
estregan

Postby estregan » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:57 am

Ok, I've tried your suggestion and I'm able to get the default settings from the Megadrum but I can't seem to be able to apply or save the settings (what's the difference between the two btw?).

When I try to change values in MDC and click on "Apply Settings" or "Save Settings", the changes I made do not take effect. When I click on "Get Settings" again, I just get the default settings from Megadrum.

Should I be disconnecting pin 7 from GND after powering up or can that be left connected. It should be connected everytime I power up the megadrum, right? So that the speed is 38400?
estregan

Postby dmitri » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:38 am

You can keep pin 7 connected to ground. I've seen this behavior with AVR-CDC, it may be AVR-CDC loosing packets. Try applying settings several times in a raw. Don't do 'Save settings', it save settings currently in MegaDrum memory into EEPROM, so until it is not applied correctly it won't save any new settings.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby estregan » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:32 pm

Ok, I followed your suggestions and I applied the settings correctly but this time when I shut down the megadrum and power it on again, when I click on "Get settings" the last applied settings I did is lost and what comes out is the default settings again.

Is the "Save settings" button used after all settings are applied, then the "saved" settings become the default settings when the megadrum is restarted?
estregan

Postby dmitri » Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:10 pm

If 'Applied settings' worked, then to keep these settings permanently you need to press 'Save settings'. But you also need set 'Autoload Conf' in the MegaDrum menu. Obviously you cannot do this since you don't have LCD or keys. I'll compile today a new version of the firmware which sets 'Autoload Conf' to 'yes' if MegaDrum was sent 'Save settings' from MegaDrum Controller. Just wait a bit:)
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby estregan » Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:32 pm

Wow! Thanks alot for that! I'll wait for the new firmware. :D
estregan

Postby dmitri » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:04 pm

Uploaded a new version, try it.
dmitri
Site Admin

Return to Related Software