Issue : multiple notes triggering constantly [fixed]

Discussions of any related software

Moderator: Related software moderators

Issue : multiple notes triggering constantly [fixed]

Postby piwai » Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:05 pm

Hi,

I bought the Megadrum 32 inputs from Dmitri in 2016 (for my wife).
At the time, I have been able to configure it, and she used it extensively.

After moving house 2 years ago, the drums have not been used.
I replugged everything last week, and it worked fine, for 1 day.
When we tried to use it again the next day, notes were triggering all over the place.
We are using it with a windows 10 desktop PC, and Superior Drummer. The issue occurs with or without SD running.
When rebooting the PC, the furious triggering stopped. After reboot, it was back.
So I tried to plug it to a USB wall adaptor, so just power, but no communication.
The crazy triggering stopped.
In this configuration, the screen shows that the unit captures very well the hits on all pads with no issue.
As soon as I plug it back to the PC, the flow of random midi notes starts again.
I tried to connect it to a linux laptop, and it's the same as the wall adaptor: the unit works fine (but I don't have any expander software on the linux laptop, so it's not very useful)
Not sure what to do here. Is there a chance that something died suddenly, after working fine for 8 years?
Or can it be something else??
Would you have any advice to fix this?
btw firmware is 20160127
I just bought a brand new usb cable, thinking that it could matter. Nothing changed with the new cable.
I posted the config and the notes triggered
Thanks a lot for your help!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by piwai on Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
piwai

Re: Issue with Megadrum: multiple notes triggering constantl

Postby ignotus » Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:58 pm

By your description it sounds like the PC's USB port is to blame - otherwise the crazy triggering would also happen when plugged elsewhere. Possibly a grounding issue. Have you tried plugging it into different USB ports (same PC)?
If it ain't broken... fix it until it is.
ignotus

Re: Issue with Megadrum: multiple notes triggering constantl

Postby piwai » Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:04 pm

ignotus wrote:By your description it sounds like the PC's USB port is to blame - otherwise the crazy triggering would also happen when plugged elsewhere. Possibly a grounding issue. Have you tried plugging it into different USB ports (same PC)?

I tried with differents ports, with the same results.

Since the communication with MegaDrum Manager FX was not working, I had to upgrade it.
it looks like the problem is gone...

I had another issue after upgrading : the screen went blank after 3 seconds.
I found that it was the contrast that went to 50%. I got it back to 100% with MegaDrum Manager FX
So it's in a good path to success now, I guess.
piwai

Return to Related Software