Saving configuration to Megadrum for my midi vibes

Discussions of any related software

Moderator: Related software moderators

Re: Saving configuration to Megadrum for my midi vibes

Postby kevin251 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:37 am

airflamesred wrote:It's not the only way but doing it via MD is a real chore.
MDM is the way forward.
I have managed to set the midi channel in MDM which is great. :D so I can use my MegaDrum Vibes (MegaVibes???) ;) - video to follow soon.

My next question is about sending MIDI messages from foot controllers - e.g. a sustain/damper pedal
I hope the diagram helps to explain the following points
  1. I currently am able to use my MegaVibes to drive my Casio PX5S (path A) OR my Roland XV2020 (path B)
  2. When connected to the Casio, its sustain pedal is available for the vibes
  3. Phase 1 - I would like to be able to use a "dedicated" vibes sustain pedal via path C - see list below of options I THINK would work - is that correct?
  4. Phase 3 - do you think it would be possible to then connect the MegaVibes to my existing setup - path D - with a dedicated MIDI channel to drive the XV2020 or the Casio?

Diagram

MIDI Converter options
kevin251

Postby airflamesred » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:52 pm

I run a dual input (MD + nektar keyboard, both usb) to the pc and add the sustain pedal that way. Midi would work as well in a similar way.
Don't even think about that Beringer 1010. I went that route- it's a very dated thing. Had to buy another chip, ridiculously difficult to program.

koby drums - Triggera krigg/Bix - megadrum - Kontakt........... Samples from all and sundry.
airflamesred

Postby kevin251 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:59 pm

airflamesred wrote:I run a dual input (MD + nektar keyboard, both usb) to the pc and add the sustain pedal that way. Midi would work as well in a similar way.
Don't even think about that Beringer 1010. I went that route- it's a very dated thing. Had to buy another chip, ridiculously difficult to program.
Cheers, Mark. What do you use to get dual USB input, BTW?
kevin251

Postby airflamesred » Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:45 am

Just use 2 sockets on my pc.

Edit
These go to cubase and I run Kontakt within that.

koby drums - Triggera krigg/Bix - megadrum - Kontakt........... Samples from all and sundry.
airflamesred

Postby kevin251 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:32 pm

airflamesred wrote:Just use 2 sockets on my pc.
Edit
These go to cubase and I run Kontakt within that.
Thanks again, Mark.
Click here for a short vid to see a bit of progress with the MegaVibes connected to my PX5S using the sustain pedal and mod wheel for the tremolo/vibrato resonators effect. We've been working on the velocity curves and I'm working on what type of mallet is best - I think it's going to be the rubber-headed type - the video is using soft mallets
kevin251

Postby airflamesred » Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:52 am

That's pretty good Sir. I'd be tempted to move the lower velocities up slightly just to even out the sound.

One of the big plus's for me was being to get sounds such as this and not have to worry about the type of stick/mallet. I did have some over optimistic plans to use 4 mallets but that soon became impractical.

If you have a keyboard that takes an expression pedal then that can be utilised for vibrato.

Is that an Irish accent I'm detecting Kevin?

Regards
Mark

airflamesred

Postby kevin251 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:16 pm

airflamesred wrote:That's pretty good Sir. I'd be tempted to move the lower velocities up slightly just to even out the sound.

One of the big plus's for me was being to get sounds such as this and not have to worry about the type of stick/mallet. I did have some over optimistic plans to use 4 mallets but that soon became impractical.

If you have a keyboard that takes an expression pedal then that can be utilised for vibrato.

Is that an Irish accent I'm detecting Kevin?

Regards
Mark
Thanks, Mark
I've made some slight adjustments for the better to the velocity curves - I still have some ghost notes being sent but at least I think I know where they're coming from.
I'm am onto reviewing pedal setup for best integration for MegaVibes and keyboards - just deciding on the FCB1010 or MidiBaby
And not an Irish accent but slight Scouse but I think every Scouser has Irish in there somewhere. :lol:
kevin251

Previous

Return to Related Software