Anyone know how to get MDM to connect with Invasion drums?

Discussions of any related software

Moderator: Related software moderators

Anyone know how to get MDM to connect with Invasion drums?

Postby jclark1118 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:07 am

I have my electric kit running through a 32 port module built by Dmitri. I want to use my electric kit to trigger Invasion drums.

MD Manager is up and running. Lights are showing green in the manager and I'm able to see inputs on the virtual midi log. I've seen videos posted by GetGood Drums on adding an electric kit to Invasion (linked below). But all they do is clear the map and then set the mappings and it magically works. As far as I can tell, Invasion is not receiving any midi input, and will not let me set the mappings. I'm assuming the issue is something I'm not doing with Megadrum Manager. I've read through the configuration stuff and watched the video on the basics of setting MDM up and followed those instructions to the best of my abilities, but it's still not working.

Video on how to set up your electric kit with Invasion Drums that doesnt work for me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqH7v02 ... tGoodDrums

My setup in case it's needed
Windows 10
Ryzen 7 4th gen
12gb ram
500gb ssd
Running Invasion Drums with Kontakt Player in Reaper
Megadrum connected to pc via USB
jclark1118

Re: Anyone know how to get MDM to connect with Invasion drum

Postby ibanman555 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:59 am

MegaDrum Manager doesn't connect to Kontakt, just the MegaDrum interface does. If you're connecting your MD via USB, you need to make sure Kontakt sees your midi input device (your MD) and then you will be able to move forward.

Now if you want to connect to MDM and Kontakt at the same time, you'll need to use the 2 different MD ports, MegaDrum USB & MegaDrum USB 2. MDM and Kontakt cannot share a single port at the same time.

ibanman555

Postby jclark1118 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:32 am

Went to Kontakt options to look for the MIDI option and noticed that it's not available for me. Looked it up and turns out that the MIDI option is only available in the standalone version of Kontakt, and not the plugin, because the DAW handles MIDI input.

Looked up how to enable MIDI input in Reaper. Went to activate it and now I get an error message in Reaper saying "The following MIDI inputs could not be opened: MegaDrum USB MIDI"

So I guess now the question is how do I get Megadrum to work with Reaper
jclark1118

Postby ibanman555 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:52 am

Was MegaDrum still connected to MDM when you attempted to assign it to Reaper? If so, this will give you that error. Disconnect from MDM, close the program,and try to connect to Reaper again.
ibanman555

Postby jclark1118 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:57 am

You're a genius! That solved the problem. I'm now able to assign mappings in Invasion and get everything to work
jclark1118

Postby jclark1118 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:07 am

I dont take it you know why everything on the aux row is triggering the same note value, do you? I've got 3 different cymbals plugged in on the aux row but I cant assign mappings to the because they're all triggering the same note value
jclark1118

Postby ibanman555 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:32 am

It sounds like the aux channels are assigned to the same note. This can be changed in MDM. I personally like to turn on TriggeredInCC on MD. When set to Yes on the interface or turn on in MDM and you hit a pad, MegaDrum will send a special MIDI CC message telling exactly which input was triggered. This option allows MegaDrum Manager (MDM) or MDCommander to quickly switch between inputs configs, and so you'll know exactly which pad you're configuring. Be sure to send the setting changes once you change the note. Once all your pads have a specific note, then go and learn them in Kontakt.
ibanman555

Postby jclark1118 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:33 am

Hmmm I cant figure out how to turn on the triger in cc function. I can see the hits getting triggered in MDM, but I cant figure out how to assign settings to the pad being hit
jclark1118

Postby ibanman555 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:57 am

Does the name of the pad change in MDM when you strike different pads? If not, On MD, press the right button until you see TriggeredInCC. Press the up button to select yes. Now when you hit a pad, it should show that pads settings in MDM.

If you haven't already read the configuration documentation, I highly suggest you do. If it doesn't make sense right away, read 6 or 12 more times and it will begin to make sense. It is kind of a necessary prerequisite to using Megadrum; https://www.megadrum.info/content/megad ... figuration
ibanman555

Postby jclark1118 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:49 am

I turned on Trigger in CC but nothing is happening in MDM when I hit anything.
jclark1118

Next

Return to Related Software