When using a drum module strictly to integrate with drum

Discussions of any related software

Moderator: Related software moderators

When using a drum module strictly to integrate with drum

Postby LeonJames » Tue May 21, 2019 6:46 am

Software on your computer via MIDI, are there even any advantages to using a modern module vs a 15-20 year old one? (amount of inputs and quality of built-in sounds doesn't matter)
I've been learning about this stuff and from what I understand midi packets are very small, so I would imagine that I shouldn't expect any serious latency even with older modules. Please correct me if I'm wrong. If that is correct, however, are there any actual reasons why a newer module would work better? For example, a Roland td-25 or td-12 vs an alesis dm5.

Insight much appreciated.
LeonJames

Re: When using a drum module strictly to integrate with drum

Postby airflamesred » Tue May 21, 2019 9:57 am

No.

koby drums - Triggera krigg/Bix - megadrum - Kontakt........... Samples from all and sundry.
airflamesred

Re: When using a drum module strictly to integrate with drum

Postby jarosz » Tue May 21, 2019 8:35 pm

Modern module would have an advantage of having settings for modern pads out of the box (but I think this is irrelevant if you even consider MegaDrum as a solution :)).

Modern module may have support for positional sensing.

Modern module may have a built in MIDI-USB functionality - might reduce latency a little bit, but you would have to measure.

You said that amount of inputs doesn't matter, but I think it actually does. In most modules you can't expect every pad to be compatible with every input.
jarosz

Return to Related Software