Config Tool for Mac user (hopefully a temporary post!!)

Discussions of any related software

Moderator: Related software moderators

Re: Config Tool for Mac user (hopefully a temporary post!!)

Postby kimouette » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:15 pm

Are you sure your Megadrum really received the information?
I mean, with Midi Monitor it's the same thing for me : I can see 48 sysex messages being sent to MD. Which should be just fine.
But then, if I check Megadrum AFTER sending ALL SETTINGs, I can see the failure.

To test that, in MCT change some values a little bit everywhere, for different pads and hi-hat pedal for exemple (put very high values to make sure you dont get mixed up with the initial default values) and send all settings to MD. Then navigate with the buttons on your Megadrum and check if the values you entered in MCT are there. If they are, well then your Mac is nicer than mine!

Something else you can try, is to disconnect MD and close MCT between each manipulation and see if it allows you to send or receive settings that you previously couldn't.

Midi Monitor is a witness that doesn't see everything! The only concrete way to test the whole thing is to check what MD did or didn't receive!
kimouette

Postby ole_hansen » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:55 pm

yeah. i'm not able to send anything from MCT to the MD.

not ALL
not SELECTED PAD
nothing.

but as long as i'm able to update the firmware through MCT, i'm actually quite happy.
i could be happier though ;)
ole_hansen

Postby kimouette » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:55 pm

Damn Mac computers!!! :twisted:

Do you have a PowerPc or Intel and Mac os 10.4 or 10.5 ?
kimouette

Postby ole_hansen » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:08 pm

Intel Macbook
version 10.4.11
ole_hansen

Postby kimouette » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:40 pm

These are sort of "great news" for me!
Thanks for doing all these tests! Now I know my Megadrum isn't "broken" or "slower" than it should be!
If MCT is not working it's really BECAUSE it's a Mac computer that cannot run Java 6 (PowerPc or Intel doesn't matter!).

One last question... Do you currently have something like Bootcamp or Virtual Pc installed on your Mac ?

Code: Select all
Since I love MCT so much (and that's because I definately prefer to see all my settings on my computer than having to navigate through the menus on MD) I'm asking anyone who reads this... if you have any potential solution in mind for Mac users, please tell me!
kimouette

Postby ole_hansen » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:46 pm

yup.
i have Crossover installed.

Just let me know if you need me to run more tests :)
DIY is all about giving back what you can to the community, IMO.
ole_hansen

Postby fuzzysnuggleduck » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:29 pm

kimouette wrote:These are sort of "great news" for me!
Thanks for doing all these tests! Now I know my Megadrum isn't "broken" or "slower" than it should be!
If MCT is not working it's really BECAUSE it's a Mac computer that cannot run Java 6 (PowerPc or Intel doesn't matter!).

One last question... Do you currently have something like Bootcamp or Virtual Pc installed on your Mac ?

Since I love MCT so much (and that's because I definately prefer to see all my settings on my computer than having to navigate through the menus on MD) I'm asking anyone who reads this... if you have any potential solution in mind for Mac users, please tell me!

There is Java 6 available for 64-bit Intel Macs. The MIDI (mmj) library is only 32-bit though. Not all Intel Macs are 64-bit systems either. My MacBook is 1st gen and has a 32-bit Core Duo.

None of that helps the situation though :(

What Java 6 features does MCT use that are preventing it from working with older JREs?
fuzzysnuggleduck

Postby ole_hansen » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:53 pm

i found a program that might be interesting for us mac-folk.

Soylatte, it's called.

i'm trying to get it to work, but am soon going out the door for work, so if someone could give it a shot as well, it'd be stellar!
ole_hansen

Postby elrules » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:58 pm

kimouette wrote:These are sort of "great news" for me!
That is the reason why I programmed it in Java 5 ;) so what you say it's not the problem. Maybe you have some kind of midi-through activated or some kind of strange setting related to the Mac midi monitor. I can't really know as I don't have a Mac.
But my work mate has a Mac so maybe I can tell him to do some tests (when I have built a new Megadrum here in Amsterdam hehehe, the parts are coming in a few days taken by my girldfriend, I can't stand a day more here in my new city without soldering something :lol: )

By the way, is this statement from kimouete or just something said by another?
elrules

Postby kimouette » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:54 am

ole_hansen wrote:yup. i have Crossover installed.
Just let me know if you need me to run more tests :)

I was thinking of installing a Windows partition and Java 6 to use MCT. But since it would involve running Windows on a Mac, it wouldn't solve the problem for other Mac users at all! So if you personally want MCT to be working, that COULD be a temporary solution.

ole_hansen wrote:i found a program that might be interesting for us mac-folk.
Soylatte, it's called.
i'm trying to get it to work, but am soon going out the door for work, so if someone could give it a shot as well, it'd be stellar!

That could be helpfull for you guys owning a Mac Intel! :roll:
Ole_Hansen if you try it share your results with us! Who knows, it might just work!
What Java 6 features does MCT use that are preventing it from working with older JREs?

I dont know! All I know is that running a LiveCD of Linux Ubuntu and installing Java 6 on it, gives other results with my Powerbook. Little bugs here and there but I do get the ability to send all settings to and from MD.
But then like Elrules said :
That is the reason why I programmed it in Java 5 so what you say it's not the problem. Maybe you have some kind of midi-through activated or some kind of strange setting related to the Mac midi monitor. I can't really know as I don't have a Mac.

So maybe I shouldn't blame Java 6 too quickly! But that "kind of midi-through" problem doesn't sound clear to me at all! I've never experienced any problem with any other MIDI device with my Mac. But since it's the first time I run a Java application to control a MIDI device, I just thought the problem was probably coming from there :?
But my work mate has a Mac so maybe I can tell him to do some tests

If you can do that... please give it a try! You're probably the only person that could solve the problem! So if you get the chance to do some concrete tests on a Mac, maybe that would be the end of our Mac/MCT compatibility problem!
By the way, is this statement from kimouete or just something said by another?

Yup that's from me. Just thought the "code display" could possibly attract more people :twisted: That was dumb and confusing I know

Elrules, after you've done some tests on a Mac, or just when you think there's nothing else you can do for Mac users.... may I ask if you would then consider maybe sharing MCT's source code so we/I can TRY to make some modifications and test them directly on a Mac?
kimouette

PreviousNext

Return to Related Software