hydrogen

Discussions of any related software

Moderator: Related software moderators

hydrogen

Postby japi » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:39 pm

Hi

Anybody know if hydrogen would work with megadrum?
I just found this amazing software, and is free (linux)

http://www.hydrogen-music.org

Is very light (low cpu usage) and low hard disk use (only 23 mb) with 20 drum kits. I tried it today and sounds great!
japi

Re: hydrogen

Postby dmitri » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:07 pm

japi wrote:Hi

Anybody know if hydrogen would work with megadrum?
I just found this amazing software, and is free (linux)

http://www.hydrogen-music.org

Is very light (low cpu usage) and low hard disk use (only 23 mb) with 20 drum kits. I tried it today and sounds great!

If it can work with MIDI inputs, than it will work with MegaDrum.
Low disk usage for music programs is not necessarily a good sign. Neither necessarily a bad one.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby japi » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:08 pm

I think it will work, i just wanted to know if someone here has tried it and get comments
I'm impressed with the sound quality, being only 23 mb and low cpu usage means that people with old computers could e-drum for the cheap :)

There's a live cd of music software that comes with hydrogen included, there's no need to install, just boot the cd, it would be nice if someone here tries it and give us his opinion
I will try it as soon as my megadrum is complete

http://www.musix.org.ar/en/index.html
japi

Postby ignotus » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:03 pm

Hi,

I use hydrogen with Megadrum and it works nice! I imagine you could trigger the default kit sounds (1 layer) with an old computer but you still might have latency issues. I have an old desktop pc with 512 mb ram and it works great using kits with up to 16 layers.
By the way, they've just released a new beta version with added features that aren't in the live cd version,I think.
If it ain't broken... fix it until it is.
ignotus

Postby japi » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:21 pm

Thanks a lot.. is good to hear that someone is using it.. i 'm towards that route :)
This sunday I will continue my megadrum build.. time to solder!! ;-)
japi

Postby gyro » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:25 pm

Ignotus, do you use Hydrogen under Windows or Linux and which build of Megadrum are you using ? I can't get Megadrum fully recognized by Windows via USB ... . Using it under Linux is a breeze.

GyRo.
gyro

Postby ignotus » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:12 am

Hi Gyro

I use Hydrogen under Linux - anyway, I think further development for windows was dropped some time ago - it's available but doesn't have many of the features the Linux version now has. As for my Megadrum, I'm not sure... it's encased right now but it's a kit I bought off Synthex last summer, though I wouldn't think the version should make any difference, should it? Might be a problem with your windows... does linux detect it ok?
If it ain't broken... fix it until it is.
ignotus

Postby gyro » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:32 pm

No problems under linux with the Musix liveDVD and Hydrogen. In Windows I tried with 7 different pc's and laptops for now, XP and Vista (as many different flavors as possible of them). Megadrum is recognized as usb audio device, but no matter what software I use, those programs can't find it. Yesterday I was looking on the site of UbuntuStudio and found an interesting thingy : Wubi (= Windows UBuntu Installer). This way you can install a Ubuntu flavor from within Windows and choose which OS to boot. Ubuntu (should work with other flavors too) is installed as a big file, thus no mess with partitions etc... I think I'm gonna use linux this way until I'm familiar with it. Thanks anyway for your response.

GyRo.
gyro

Return to Related Software