MDM FX Visual MIDI colors on Hi-hat Bow/Edge/Bell hits

Discussions of any related software

Moderator: Related software moderators

MDM FX Visual MIDI colors on Hi-hat Bow/Edge/Bell hits

Postby jarosz » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:59 pm

In MDM FX Visual MIDI window note bars have colors (blue, green, orange) assigned only with hi-hat pedal fully open and closed. For intermediate pedal positions the color is always yellow.

Could you please implement appropriate bar coloring for other pedal positions (according to notes assigned to SemiOpen and other positions in the "Notes" tab of the Hi-hat pedal section)?
jarosz

Re: MDM FX Visual MIDI colors on Hi-hat Bow/Edge/Bell hits

Postby jarosz » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:53 pm

By the way, there is a minor bug with the coloring with the DampenedNote. When I set Bow Note and DampenedNote to the same number, the bar is always orange (3rd zone hit), regardless of the choke state. When I set Edge Note and DampenedNote to the same number, the bar is always green (rim hit). When I set Bow Note, Edge Note and DampenedNote to the same number the bar is always green.

I believe it's impossible for MDM FX to detect a bow or an edge hit with the same note number, because it's the only information transmitted via MIDI, but could you implement following detection algorithm?

Code: Select all
if note is dampenednote and the cymbal is choked, but not released yet (last aftertouch 127): color orange
else
  if note is bow: color blue
  else if note is edge: color green
  else if note is bell: color orange
  else: color unknown

or at least forget the choke function and check for dampened note after bell zone.
jarosz

Postby lrizzo2001 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:13 pm

I thought I saw that as well, I'm still trying to learn how to read the other zones. I've had a different midi note for each zone, but I still won't get Blue on head hits, i'll see Green, Orange and something else, but not blue. Once I start playing around with the midi note on the Head, i'll suddenly start to see blue.

jarosz wrote:By the way, there is a minor bug with the coloring with the DampenedNote. When I set Bow Note and DampenedNote to the same number, the bar is always orange (3rd zone hit), regardless of the choke state. When I set Edge Note and DampenedNote to the same number, the bar is always green (rim hit). When I set Bow Note, Edge Note and DampenedNote to the same number the bar is always green.

I believe it's impossible for MDM FX to detect a bow or an edge hit with the same note number, because it's the only information transmitted via MIDI, but could you implement following detection algorithm?

Code: Select all
if note is dampenednote and the cymbal is choked, but not released yet (last aftertouch 127): color orange
else
  if note is bow: color blue
  else if note is edge: color green
  else if note is bell: color orange
  else: color unknown

or at least forget the choke function and check for dampened note after bell zone.
lrizzo2001

Postby jarosz » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:42 pm

lrizzo2001 wrote:I thought I saw that as well, I'm still trying to learn how to read the other zones. I've had a different midi note for each zone, but I still won't get Blue on head hits, i'll see Green, Orange and something else, but not blue. Once I start playing around with the midi note on the Head, i'll suddenly start to see blue.

I don't know the exact algorithm for the zone detection in MDM FX, but in my experience the orange and green color have higher priority than blue. If you can't get a blue hit with a note (for example 38) and get it green, please check if there's any rim zone on any pad with the note 38 set, because in current version it would get a higher priority over the expected bow.

MDM FX doesn't "know" which pad has been hit, because it only gets a MIDI note number and maps it to a pad. It could use a TriggeredIn message for this purpose to be more accurate. I think current method is OK, but needs to be tweaked a bit (IMO higher priority for blue, because I consider it the "base" note of a pad).
jarosz

Postby lrizzo2001 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:02 pm

Agreed.

jarosz wrote:
lrizzo2001 wrote:I thought I saw that as well, I'm still trying to learn how to read the other zones. I've had a different midi note for each zone, but I still won't get Blue on head hits, i'll see Green, Orange and something else, but not blue. Once I start playing around with the midi note on the Head, i'll suddenly start to see blue.

I don't know the exact algorithm for the zone detection in MDM FX, but in my experience the orange and green color have higher priority than blue. If you can't get a blue hit with a note (for example 38) and get it green, please check if there's any rim zone on any pad with the note 38 set, because in current version it would get a higher priority over the expected bow.

MDM FX doesn't "know" which pad has been hit, because it only gets a MIDI note number and maps it to a pad. It could use a TriggeredIn message for this purpose to be more accurate. I think current method is OK, but needs to be tweaked a bit (IMO higher priority for blue, because I consider it the "base" note of a pad).
lrizzo2001

Postby lrizzo2001 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:49 pm

Dmitri? care to weigh in on this?
lrizzo2001

Postby dmitri » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:11 pm

lrizzo2001 wrote:Dmitri? care to weigh in on this?

Of course I will but on what exactly? You don't get correct color bars? MDMFX chooses bar color based on the Note number received. If the same note is assigned to multiple inputs/zones, MDMFX will pick a color from the first input/zone with the matching Note number.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby lrizzo2001 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:31 pm

dmitri wrote:

Of course I will but on what exactly? You don't get correct color bars? MDMFX chooses bar color based on the Note number received. If the same note is assigned to multiple inputs/zones, MDMFX will pick a color from the first input/zone with the matching Note number.

ahhhhhhh
lrizzo2001

Postby lrizzo2001 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:37 pm

dmitri wrote:

Would it still do this if the input with a matching midi note was disabled?
lrizzo2001

Postby jarosz » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:10 am

dmitri wrote:Of course I will but on what exactly? You don't get correct color bars? MDMFX chooses bar color based on the Note number received. If the same note is assigned to multiple inputs/zones, MDMFX will pick a color from the first input/zone with the matching Note number.

I understand that, but my idea is to:
1. join hihat zones for different CC positions to the checking algorithm (all are yellow now)
2. change the order of checking and consider Aftertouch message for dampened note, like in pseudocode above.

lrizzo2001 wrote:Would it still do this if the input with a matching midi note was disabled?

It even does it for notes specified in the 3rd zone for pads set up as single zone, therefore with this setting hidden in the UI.

I thought MDM FX was closed source, but now I've found the source code on GitHub. Dmitri, I will have some spare time next week to work on it and try to suplly a patch, if you don't mind.
jarosz

Next

Return to Related Software