Anybody have experience using Roland PD8 type pads?

Discussions of any related software

Moderator: Related software moderators

Anybody have experience using Roland PD8 type pads?

Postby lrizzo2001 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:42 pm

I just got my 56input MD. Obviously this unit isn't a simple plug in and start playing piece of equipment, but upon connecting all my pads which are mostly Roland PD7's and PD10's, I'm just getting nonstop false triggering from everything. I've increased the threshold on them to stop all that, but I'm not getting any Rim triggering. Does anybody out there have any experience working with these pads? should I just do away with them and use simple dual piezo type diy pads?
lrizzo2001

Re: Anybody have experience using Roland PD8 type pads?

Postby dmitri » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:04 pm

By default all inputs in MegaDrum are configured for piezos. Pads you have plugged are piezo/switch pads. Switch zones on inputs configured as piezos will act as an antenna picking up electromagnetic noise. Please see:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=site% ... etic+noise
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby lrizzo2001 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:14 am

So when I'm configuring the snare, on Share H I have it set to "Dual or 3 way Yamaha", and the Snare R is set to switch. I'm still not getting rims.
Her's what I found in the forum, and I've tried these settings, but now all I get is Rim on Head. When I select Dual on the Snare Head, I get an additional menu at the bottom for the 3rd zone, I have disabled that.

I've tried:
Head Values:

note = 38
curve = Log1
threshold = 15
retrigger = 1
levelMax = 990
minScan = 20
gain = 6
xtalkLevel = 4
xtalkGroup = 1
dynTime = 4
dynLevel = 36
compression = 0
shift = 0
Type= Dual

Rim settings

compression = 0
shift = 0
Threshold: 24
Gain: 0
Highlevel: 490
Retrigger: 3
Dynlevel: 0
Dyntime: 0
Minscan: 20
Type Switch
lrizzo2001

Postby dmitri » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:30 am

When a pad is set as dual piezo/switch and if you get Rims only then it means that MegaDrum detects the switch is pressed all the time. This because the Threshold is set too high and/or Gain set too low.

This is the extract from the Pads settings Documentation for the Threshold on switch inputs:

For switch Rim/Edge inputs: Input switch threshold. Sets below which level the switch is detected as hit/pressed. Note that on the switch Rim/Edge inputs actual velocity is determined by signal from a piezo on a Head/Bow input. The best way to set a correct threshold on a switch input is to use MIDI-OX to monitor 'aftertouch' MIDI messages. With a proper threshold value you should see 2 or 3 (dual zone or 3way/3 zone pad) 'aftertouch' on' MIDI messages when you press the switch and 2 or 3 'aftertouch off' MIDI messages when you release the switch.

With MDMFX you don't need MIDI-OX as you can monitor all MIDI messages in MDMFX itself.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby lrizzo2001 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:01 pm

I'm still not having much success, I'll post pics of my current settings tonight, but I'm not getting even close to getting Head and Rim triggers on any of my roland PD pads. If I disable the rim zone the snare hits are fine, when I enable the rim zone my head is triggering a different midi note. I've played with the gain and threshold and it's a no-go. I know the pads are fine because they work perfectly on the roland TD-7 module.

dmitri wrote:When a pad is set as dual piezo/switch and if you get Rims only then it means that MegaDrum detects the switch is pressed all the time. This because the Threshold is set too high and/or Gain set too low.

This is the extract from the Pads settings Documentation for the Threshold on switch inputs:

For switch Rim/Edge inputs: Input switch threshold. Sets below which level the switch is detected as hit/pressed. Note that on the switch Rim/Edge inputs actual velocity is determined by signal from a piezo on a Head/Bow input. The best way to set a correct threshold on a switch input is to use MIDI-OX to monitor 'aftertouch' MIDI messages. With a proper threshold value you should see 2 or 3 (dual zone or 3way/3 zone pad) 'aftertouch' on' MIDI messages when you press the switch and 2 or 3 'aftertouch off' MIDI messages when you release the switch.

With MDMFX you don't need MIDI-OX as you can monitor all MIDI messages in MDMFX itself.
lrizzo2001

Postby dmitri » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:15 pm

Please plug just one PD8 pad into MegaDrum (disconnect all other pads). Configure it as a dual zone piezo/switch pad, post a screenshot of settings for this pad and describe what the problem is with these particular settings.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby lrizzo2001 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:51 pm

Will try and get that tonight, I totally forgot to post them last night. There's no reason to think a PD8 would need to be configured any different than a PD6, PD10 correct? I believe these are all dual zone piezo switch pads.

dmitri wrote:Please plug just one PD8 pad into MegaDrum (disconnect all other pads). Configure it as a dual zone piezo/switch pad, post a screenshot of settings for this pad and describe what the problem is with these particular settings.
lrizzo2001

Postby dmitri » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:02 pm

If they are all piezo/switch then they will be configured similarly.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby lrizzo2001 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:25 pm

dmitri wrote:If they are all piezo/switch then they will be configured similarly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lrizzo2001

Postby dmitri » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:24 pm

So what is the problem with the pad with these settings?
dmitri
Site Admin

Next

Return to Related Software