MegaDrum Manager FX Questions for A Noobie!

Discussions of any related software

Moderator: Related software moderators

MegaDrum Manager FX Questions for A Noobie!

Postby Stephen Spurlock » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:13 am

I have read a lot of different posts on different Yamaha, DIY & Roland cymbals. I have read a lot on different drums and cake pan designs.

I have a few questions about how MegaDrum works generically, and how to setup MegaDrum Manager and thought it would help to have them in one place. I am going to try to keep it simple and not brand specific.

I have a 56 input MegaDrum with Positional Sensing add-on board. To my knowledge everything is working great inside of the MegaDrum "module." My hope is to get MegaDrum working with Superior Drummer. I only use MegaDrum Manager FX. Also, FYI- I am not a drummer. I am a producer and engineer that drums...

My first question is about drums and multiple zones:: Am I correct in my understanding of zones?

1 zone: 1 piezo = 1 sample triggered
2 zone: 2 piezos = 2 samples triggered
3 zone: 2 piezos = 3 samples triggered

My second question:: Am I correct in my understanding of MegaDrum's processing?

1 Zone: 1 Piezo connected to the Tip/Sleeve of a jack

The piezo gives a voltage reading that is turned into velocity on the Head/Bow input.

2 Zone: 2 Piezos, one connected to the Tip/Sleeve and the other connected to Ring/Sleeve of a jack
The Tip/Sleeve piezo gives a voltage that is turned into a velocity on the Head/Bow input. The second piezo connected to the Ring/Sleeve sends a voltage that is turned into a velocity on the Rim/Edge input. The second piezo is usually on the wall of drum to send a midi note for when you strike the rim of the drum...note: the type on the Head/Bow input is set to "Dual or 3way Yamaha" and the type on the Rim/Edge input is set to "Piezo" and the 3rd zone is disabled.

3 Zone: 2 Piezos, one connected to the Tip/Sleeve and the other connected to Ring/Sleeve of a jack
The same setup as 2 zone except there is a third note triggered when both piezos are triggered at the same time. Usually the 3rd zone is set to trigger a "Rimshot" sound, which is where a drummer hits both the rim and center of the drum at the same time.

My third & fourth questions have to do with different zones on cymbals:: Am I correct in my understanding of zones?

1 Zone: 1 Piezo = 1 sample triggered
2 Zone + Choke: 1 Piezo and 1 switch = 2 samples triggered & aftertouch message for choke
3 Zone + Choke: 1 Piezo and 2 switches = 3 samples triggered & aftertouch message for choke

My fourth question:: Am I correct in my understanding of MegaDrum's processing?

1 Zone: 1 Piezo connected to the Tip/Sleeve of a jack

The piezo gives a voltage reading that is turned into velocity on the Head/Bow input of the jack.

2 Zone + Choke: 1 Piezo connected to the Tip/Sleeve and 1 switch connected to Ring/Sleeve of a jack
The piezo gives a voltage reading that is turned into velocity on the Head/Bow input of the jack. When the switch is closed and held (ring + sleeve are connected) an aftertouch message is sent to quickly decay the sample to sound like a cymbal choke. Also, a second MIDI note can be sent if the switch is closed (ring + sleeve) quickly then MegaDrum measures the voltage from the piezo and sends a velocity on the Rim/Edge input...note: on the Head/Bow input the type should be set to "Dual or 3way Yamaha" and the Rim/Edge input has to have the type selected to "switch" and the 3rd zone is disabled.

3 Zone + Choke: 1 Piezo and 2 switches = 3 samples triggered & aftertouch message for choke
There are different designs but basically there is one piezo that is connected to the Tip/Sleeve of the jack and gives a voltage reading that is turned into velocity on the Head/Bow input of the jack. When the edge switch is closed and held there is an aftertouch message sent for a choke. However, if switch 1 is closed quickly that triggers an Rim/Edge sound based off the voltage of the piezo. When the second switch is closed quickly a third MIDI note is sent based off of the voltage of the piezo.

Does that seem correct?

Also, in the third zone there is a "DampenedNote" how does this work and why? Is it disabled when the 3rd zone is disabled? How does the "DampenedNote" work if the Rim/Edge is type is set to "Dual 3way Yamaha?" How does it work if the Rim/Edge input type is set to "switch?" When it is used with drums? When it is used with cymbals?
Stephen Spurlock

Re: MegaDrum Manager FX Questions for A Noobie!

Postby airflamesred » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:40 am

Pretty much, yes. The mote important thing is what do you want to achieve? One piezo - one zone is the most foolproof method, as you move up and add more piezos and try to divide those signals into more zones you, potentially, introduce more issues with triggering.
You can have a 6, 13 zone cymbal, depends on aesthetics.
If you think about it you have a 56 zone drum kit. As I say, It's what you want to achieve.

koby drums - Triggera krigg/Bix - megadrum - Kontakt........... Samples from all and sundry.
airflamesred

Return to Related Software