Sysex changes in MegaDrum

Discussions of any related software

Moderator: Related software moderators

Sysex changes in MegaDrum

Postby dmitri » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:49 pm

I changed Sysex handling in the latest version of firmware. See viewtopic.php?f=3&t=58 for details.
dmitri
Site Admin

Re: Sysex changes in MegaDrum

Postby dmitri » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:17 pm

Here is the updated virsion of menu_layout.pdf with a description of last changes:
menu_layout.pdf

The main purpose of Sysex changes is to keep compatibility between new MegaDrum firmware versions and MegaDrum utilities. E.g. each pad can now be modified with a sysex without touching any other pads or other configuration settings. Say there is already a MegaDrum utility which understands the new sysex format and supports both 22 and 32 inputs version. Now suppose I released a new firmware version where I added one more byte to a pad configuration (I will always add new bytes at the end of already existing configuration bytes) so a pad sysex message for the input 1 changes from
F0 70 00 03 01 02 0E 09 00 01 04 00 08 0F 00 00 03 01 04 00 02 00 00 00 00 F7
to
F0 70 00 03 01 02 0E 09 00 01 04 00 08 0F 00 00 03 01 04 00 02 00 00 00 00 03 03 F7

Now even if the MegaDrum utility sends to MegaDrum
F0 70 00 03 01 02 0E 09 00 01 04 00 08 0F 00 00 03 01 04 00 02 00 00 00 00 F7
MegaDrum will accept it and apply all the settings, except the new one - 03 03 - which it will keep.

Or suppose I release a new version which supports 48 inputs. If the MegaDrum utility is thought through, it will support new inputs straight away (hint: the utility can test how many inputs MegaDrum supports by sending 'F0 70 00 03 01 F7', 'F0 70 00 03 02 F7'... increasing pad number until no reply received from MegaDrum). And even if it is hard coded to support only 32 inputs you will still be able to config the first 32 inputs on a 48 inputs version of MegaDrum.

Another advantage of the new Sysex handling is that the sysex messages are now small and any changes in the MegaDrum utility can be applied to MegaDrum on the fly after every change so that to test changes more quickly.

"Will there be such MegaDrum utility?" - you may ask. I hope so ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby elrules » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:53 am

I have fully read the new document. Pretty well explained.

I have one doubt. If I want to make to send to MIDIOX the full configuration of megadrum. In which format will it be sent? with the obsolete format or will it send 33 different sysex messages (miscelaneous,hihat, and all inputs)? I want to update my megadrum with the last firmware, make a good configuration of all parameters, and then save it to my PC. Is the process the same I had to do with the last version? (you know... open midiox and set it to receive data and then select to send it in megadrum, finally save the data received as a .syx file)

The other doubt I have is about the drummaps, can I backup my drummaps sending them to a PC, I have made drummaps to control all of my samplers and each time I update the firmware I have to redo them, or now the drummaps stay after an update? (I am thinking now that maybe I lost my drummaps when I did updates erasing firmware with ponyprog, but with a bootloader it does not happen, am I right?)

Other things... have Beamrtreaker finished the megadrum control software?? It looked as nearly finished, any news from him?

And... how is it going with the yamaha cymbal support? (you have to see me as a disturbing fly around your ears... heheh)

By the way, thanks for all the work you are doing.
elrules

Postby dmitri » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:23 am

elrules wrote:I have fully read the new document. Pretty well explained.

I have one doubt. If I want to make to send to MIDIOX the full configuration of megadrum. In which format will it be sent? with the obsolete format or will it send 33 different sysex messages (miscelaneous,hihat, and all inputs)? I want to update my megadrum with the last firmware, make a good configuration of all parameters, and then save it to my PC. Is the process the same I had to do with the last version? (you know... open midiox and set it to receive data and then select to send it in megadrum, finally save the data received as a .syx file)

You can do the same with the new version. When MegaDrum requested to send a Sysex dump, from a menu or from a PC, it sends a Sysex dump in old format and then 33 different sysex messages.

The other doubt I have is about the drummaps, can I backup my drummaps sending them to a PC, I have made drummaps to control all of my samplers and each time I update the firmware I have to redo them, or now the drummaps stay after an update? (I am thinking now that maybe I lost my drummaps when I did updates erasing firmware with ponyprog, but with a bootloader it does not happen, am I right?)

Nothing changed here. If you want to save all drummaps, load each one at a time and send Sysex config dump to MIDI-OX. Then after the firmware uprade, load every saved sysex config into MegaDrum and saving a drummap into EEPROM after each config.
Doing upgrade with a bootloader and relying on saved data in EEPROM is not recommended. Variable placement in EEPROM may change with firmware upgrades.

Other things... have Beamrtreaker finished the megadrum control software?? It looked as nearly finished, any news from him?

And... how is it going with the yamaha cymbal support? (you have to see me as a disturbing fly around your ears... heheh)

I think, getting to the bottom of the problem you had with piezo/piezo pads seems more important since it may effect more people than yamaha symbal support. I'm still waiting for your video describing the problem and making a comparison with a Roland module.

By the way, thanks for all the work you are doing.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby Beamtreetaker » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:04 pm

elrules wrote:Other things... have Beamrtreaker finished the megadrum control software?? It looked as nearly finished, any news from him?

Hi & sorry for the late update from my side. 'Had hardly any free time during the last weeks, also some pc problems (motherboard broke) which are fixed since today. The last status of my tool is that I need to change the midi API that I used. There were many problems that occured in real life testing, whereas *theoretically* (using MidiOx) the tool works fine. I made some investigation in a less error-prone midi API and will implement it in my tool very soon.
The new sysex format looks very interesting....not to say ingenious =). When I will put my hands on the tool again, integrating the new format will be very high on my todo-list, right after the midi API changing.
'Hope to be able to give a stable release very soon. Sorry for the slowhand-style=) Btw, thanks dmitri and Synthex for the betatesting, it's sad it's always up to you to do the dirty work ;)
Beamtreetaker

Return to Related Software