Pad setup wizard suggestion

Discussions of any related software

Moderator: Related software moderators

Re: Pad setup wizard suggestion

Postby ignotus » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:16 pm

Kabonfaiba wrote:I can configure one of my inputs separately, to be perfect, but when I enable the next input the previous input starts self triggering
I've never had that happen. I might have to adjust crosstalk as I go along, but what you describe sounds strange.
stefan1982 wrote:This could be easily fixed with an intermediate/expert user-mode from some menu, or a simple "Proceed without setup wizard" button..
I didn't mean to say that I don't want to use this setup helper - in fact, as I imagined it, the setup wizard would be a separate process within MDM that doesn't replace the current menus, but just acts as an optional shortcut for a few menu items.

In the short term though, I would suggest that the basic, important parameters like threshold, gain, highlevel, retrigger, etc are shown by default, and others, like level shift, compression, alt note, etc are made available with an 'Advanced' menu - just keep them hidden and show them with an 'advanced ' button. I think it would make the interface look less cluttered and daunting, and would help newcomers focus on the parameters necessary to start configuring their pads.
If it ain't broken... fix it until it is.
ignotus

Postby Kabonfaiba » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:59 pm

Completely forgot I posted in this thread.

The latest firmware actually busted one of my CY-14C cymbals today, so I've been busy looking into that, d'oh!

It was playing fine on earlier firmware, although occasionally the aftertouch would get stuck on. Now after the update, it's permanently stuck on and no amount of settings I try can get the switch sensor back working. My best settings are gain 8 threshold 2, the auto edge setup wants me to be at 6 but that's back to perma mute. I'm taking it apart tomorrow to see what's up. Otherwise I'll have to roll back to a previous firmware along with the old MDM.

I don't know what's up with my Megadrum though other than that, I assumed the electrical crosstalk phenomenon was normal, everyone experiences it right?

e.g. one of my Toms has always triggered my hi hat occasionally, even though both are isolated triggers. I have the Xtalk level at 7 for each, but that's still not strong enough to cancel the occasional crosstalk.

The other weird thing I found, was I can make some of my other inputs (kick) self trigger just by disabling another in MDMFX (any of my cymbals really) like it raises the signal slightly and I have to move my thresholds up.
Kabonfaiba

Postby dmitri » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:27 pm

I understand that 3way Roland cymbals don't work properly with the latest firmware, right?
I don't have 3way Roland cymbals ready to test it but I will look into it when I find/build a mock up.
Can anybody with 3way Roland cymbals check and report if they have or don't have the same problem?
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby Kabonfaiba » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:34 pm

Nothing wrong with my CY-15R :? It works fine with the latest firmware. All 3 zones.

There's certainly a problem with my edge switch that's got worse; Yesterday I peeled my rubber away from my dodgy edge switch on my CY-14C to see a rotten sight of rubber debris. Feeling confident I had identified the issue, I proceeded to clean out the film of the switch sensor with Isopropyl alcohol. I put it back together, but the problem remained. :|

Then I swapped it with my other CY-14C and a problem stayed with the input, d'oh! Wasted my time, but at least I haven't broken anything. :P

I'm using official Roland and Drum-tec TRS cables with my kit. So it's either the firmware, the jacks on my Megadrum module, or something else.

Might be getting worse with age? All I know is I'm now on: Gain 8, Threshold 1 with both my edge switches. Any higher and the switches (aftertouch) sticks on.

The problem is the switch sends an after-touch message every 10 seconds.
Threshold 2; every 5 seconds.
Threshold 3; every 2.5 seconds.
Threshold 4; every second.
Threshold 5; many times
Threshold 6; loads of times
Threshold 7; switch is stuck on.

I've tried reseating both TRS cables, and cleaning the ends, although they are brand new cables.

I've already had this problem in the past and I solved it by moving my crash cymbals to a different input. But I can't do this any more since I have cooled certain inputs for my toms.

This is why I say, plugging in more triggers upsets the calibration of others.
Kabonfaiba

Postby dmitri » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:26 pm

If the switch requires Threshold 1 with Gain 8 to be registered when pressed/hit the it is seems to me there is something wrong with the switch. Can you measure switch's resistance when it is off and when it is pressed?
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby Kabonfaiba » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:12 pm

Good idea, I'll order a Multimeter - I've always wanted to get one anyway, and this gives me a push.

I'm highly confident the problem isn't with the edge switch though, I can put any of my Roland cymbals on these inputs (VH-11, CY-14R, CY-15R) and they all exhibit the same problem (on input 17 and 19, in this case) is where the problem seems to lie. :geek:
Kabonfaiba

Postby dmitri » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:30 pm

In that case there is something wrong with those jacks or you're not plugging the cables all the way in - the switches inputs seem to remain shorted to the ground when you plug the cable in.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby Kabonfaiba » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:36 pm

Been learning my multimeter since I last posted. ;)

So the verdict is; I cannot find anything faulty with the hardware.

I continuity tested my cymbals edge sensor, with the TRS jacks unconnected; ring and ground resting are completely open (with 66kΩ). When I squeeze the edge switch I close with 25Ω.

Next I plugged the TRS into Megadrum, tested continuity on the ring pin on the jack. I probed ground on the jack pin, and all ground pins on the PCB. Same result, tested normal.

I also tested every tip and ring pin on all inputs (including my voltage divided inputs) for any continuity with ground. No anomalies detected.

Lastly I tested my edge switches with Megadrum powered on;

Switch ring read 32Ω closed and 66kΩ open.

I also held my probes for 1 minute to see if I got any random spikes, but I couldn't find anything abnormal. So either it's OK, or the spikes were too fast for my multimeter to detect. That's the only uncertainty in this whole thing, taking into account everything else I'm 99% sure there's no problems?

Capture.PNG

Picture shows the edge switch pulsing at fixed intervals as I increase threshold from 1 (occasional spikes) to 8 (switch stuck closed)

Maybe I should move this to a new thread.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Kabonfaiba on Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kabonfaiba

Postby Kabonfaiba » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:54 pm

Update!

Playing around with the probes with the Megadrum powered on and the switch auto triggering.

I may have stumbled on a solution! :D

If I short sleeve and ground, the auto triggering stops and the edge switch behaves as normal when I squeeze it!

Does this sound natural? Is there anything against me shorting sleeve with ground?

I'm pretty confident in my solution, I just cannot wrap my head around why this is happening, or why this would work, I'm just happy I have something to go forward on. 8-)
Kabonfaiba

Postby ignotus » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:36 pm

All your sleeves should be connected to ground (sleeves connected to each other and then at one point to ground). If they haven't been until now it's a wonder you got anything working properly at all!
If it ain't broken... fix it until it is.
ignotus

PreviousNext

Return to Related Software