Pad setup wizard suggestion

Discussions of any related software

Moderator: Related software moderators

Re: Pad setup wizard suggestion

Postby Kabonfaiba » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:57 pm

#&%$!!! I've mixed my terminology up!

My bad, I meant Ring instead of Sleeve.

Yes, all my TRS sleeves are joined up in a loop of wire as you describe, that leads off to a ground pin on the PCB.

I bought my Megadrum pre-made by Dmitri so I'm sure there's no wiring mistakes here.

The switch circuit is on the ring on my Roland cymbals.

So to correct my previous question; shorting ring to ground, will potentially solve my issue.

I'll be shorting using a fixed resistor of some value I do not know yet (I figure my multimeter was taking the role of a resistor while I was experimenting earlier) I just have to solder it to both my Roland cymbal inputs and cross my fingers. :ugeek:
Kabonfaiba

Postby Kabonfaiba » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:45 pm

Brief follow up; putting a resister between ring and ground didn't work to solve the self triggering after-touch. I tried 1k to 47k and it only seemed to make things worse. :? Confusing result after I thought I had stumbled on a solution.

I can't believe both my CY-14C are malfunctioning with exactly the same symptom. Not sure what to do next. So strange that my tom inputs were too hot yet my cymbal inputs seem to be too cold. Can I even make an input hotter?
Kabonfaiba

Postby dmitri » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:36 pm

One thing I noticed from settings - 3rd zone Threshold must always be lower than the Edge Threshold (even if the 3rd zone is disabled).
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby Kabonfaiba » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:47 pm

Capture.PNG

Here's what I know:

If I disable Crash1 edge; the self triggering moves to Crash2 (which doesn't exhibit the issue on "normal" settings).

If I disable both Crash1 and Crash2 edge, my kick input starts self triggering - requiring me to raise thresholds - what I mean when I say; every input is kept in equilibrium / affected by the settings of another input.

I read your suggestion about the 3rd zone threshold, doesn't seem to be linked to my issue though. Changing it has no effect for me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kabonfaiba

Postby dmitri » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:57 am

Set Threshold on 3rd zone to 0. Set Threshold on Edge to 1. Do you still get Aftertouch self triggering?
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby Kabonfaiba » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:37 am

dmitri wrote:Set Threshold on 3rd zone to 0. Set Threshold on Edge to 1. Do you still get Aftertouch self triggering?

That's my normal setting, self triggering happens once every 4 seconds on Gain 8 Threshold 1.

I raised threshold to 7 to exaggerate the issue in the screenshot, threshold 8+ and aftertouch gets stuck on - what the auto edge calibration likes to set the threshold at fyi.

I've been living with it, but obviously a self triggering aftertouch on my crash cymbal isn't ideal when it can mute itself randomly in the space of 0-4 seconds after I hit it. :lol:
Kabonfaiba

Postby dmitri » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:20 pm

If you disconnect the cymbal cable from the MegaDrum jack, do you still see aftertouch self triggering?
If yes, then there is something wrong with MegaDrum module or jack.
If no, then there is something wrong with the cable/cymbal. E.g. a mono cable used instead of stereo, or the cable is not plugged in fully on either end or there is a short somewhere in the cable or the cymbal.

Another possibility is that some other unused jack is configured as a dual zone piezo/switch pad with Note 0 on 3rd zone and Threshold on the Edge of that jack is set on a border line of detecting make/break when nothing is connected to it. Post the full .mds config here (zipped) and I can have a look to see if anything else is configured like this.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby Kabonfaiba » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:04 pm

If I disconnect the cymbal cable from the MegaDrum jack, the aftertouch self triggering stops.

I am using all new TRS cables from Drum-tec, I am able to push some of the cables in on the MegaDrum jack, about 0.2mm of play, I don't think that's the problem as a number of jacks have this tiny amount of play. Also checked the TRS is pushed in all the way, on the cymbal end.

I have just replaced the cable, that did not solve it. I can also swap the CY-14C with my other and the problem stays with the input, not the cymbal.

Attached my full config for you, thanks for your help Dmitri.

KabonfaibaMDS.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kabonfaiba

Postby Kabonfaiba » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:55 pm

Took pictures of the jack in question.

DSC01707.jpg

DSC01702.jpg
Kabonfaiba

Postby dmitri » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:00 pm

I had a look at your EZDrummer2.mds config. For the test, in this config please disable both zones on inputs 2/3, 12/13, 14/15. Do you still get aftertouch self triggering?
dmitri
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Related Software