DIY (ride)cymbal, what rubber to cover top

Discussions of any related software

Moderator: Related software moderators

DIY (ride)cymbal, what rubber to cover top

Postby stefan1982 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:34 pm

What rubber, or material do you guys use as the material to cover the strike-area on your cymbal to get the best playing experience and the least contact noise?
I've read about using EPDM-rubber (mousepad material) which is a bit too bouncy and 0,5 mm silicon rubber (a bit too loud). Any other material which would give you a good playing experience?
I also read that 3M Professional grade rubberized undercoating spray should give a nice feeling and dampening to the stick-noise, but I'm not sure about that.

Anyone has some experience with it, or perhaps better idea's?
stefan1982

Re: DIY (ride)cymbal, what rubber to cover top

Postby stefan1982 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:22 am

No one with some advise, what would be the best to use?
stefan1982

Re: DIY (ride)cymbal, what rubber to cover top

Postby ignotus » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:34 am

I use 1 mm EPDM pond liner on most cymbals - the feel is very good but it's also a bit noisy, though still far less than using nothing. I used 3 layers on one cymbal and the noise did go down a fair bit, but I had to raise sensitivity somewhat. There's necessarily a trade-off between sensitivity and noise: the softer the material, the less noise but also worse feel and sensitivity, and the harder it is, more noise but better feel and sensitivity.

I have been tempted to use undercoating spray but the lumpy finish puts me off. Maybe you could take one for the team and first test it out on a piece of metal or wood first ;) ?
If it ain't broken... fix it until it is.
ignotus

Return to Related Software