"Error Trying to Open MIDI In Port"

Discussions of any related software

Moderator: Related software moderators

"Error Trying to Open MIDI In Port"

Postby CCinBR200 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:53 pm

Hi, all.

I finally finished putting my MD together. I am trying to connect it to MDM. I keep getting the message: "Error Trying to Open MIDI In Port: XXXXXXXX"

i've searched and can't find a solution.

I have tried using MegaDrum USB MIDI, MIDI In2 (MegaDrum USB MIDI), same In & Outs, and different In & Outs.

I tried "Get All" and "All Settings: Get From MegaDrum"

I don't think I have nay VSTs running.

Windows Control Panel reports: MegaDrum USB MIDI [0], [1], [2], and [3] and all 4 say that the device is working properly.

MDM reports version 20160918. I bought the board about 2 years ago and have not upgraded the firmware.

My MDM screen shows:
FW ??
MCU Unknown
and there is a red box showing "??"

I appreciate any help getting past this next hurdle. :D
CCinBR200

Re: "Error Trying to Open MIDI In Port"

Postby dmitri » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:48 pm

What is the MCU type in your MegaDrum? What firmware version does MegaDrum show?
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby CCinBR200 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:58 pm

I went back and read the documentation and found out that I had not loaded the firmware! Did that today and MDM can see the FW and the MCU. And I'm getting green boxes saying"OK". So I think I have passed the next hurdle.

Thanks for your time and sorry for the bother.
CCinBR200

Postby CCinBR200 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:49 pm

Well.........

As you saw in my last post, I got MDM to communicate with MD and show FW, MCU, and green boxes. Had to stop at that point.

This morning I turned on MD, started MDM, and now getting "Error trying to Open MIDI In port" as well as "Out Port". Now it does not see FW or MCU and the top box is red "MIDI Init Error". Any ideas why it went back to erroring and how to get the joy back?

Thanks!

Carlo
CCinBR200

Postby dmitri » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:56 pm

Still, what is the MCU type in your MegaDrum? What firmware version does MegaDrum show on the LCD?
And what MIDI In and Out Ports did you select in MDM?
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby CCinBR200 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:19 am

The chip is STM32F205RCT6
Firmware is 20160529
I tried both Megadrum USB MIDI and MIDIIN2 (Megadrum USB MIDI). Neither worked.

When I last posted, I saw the LCD display the progress while installing the Firmware. But today, all I see on the LCD is the copyright screen and now double row of lines with curse at top left.

Thanks for your time.
CCinBR200

Postby CCinBR200 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:29 am

I notice that when I hold my left button while powering up, it just goes to the double row screen with cursor. ??
CCinBR200

Postby dmitri » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:25 pm

CCinBR200 wrote:The chip is STM32F205RCT6
Firmware is 20160529

Take a screenshot of MIDI settings in Options.
Also, do you have any other MIDI software running at the same time?

When I last posted, I saw the LCD display the progress while installing the Firmware.

Why do you install a firmware when you already have the latest version installed?

But today, all I see on the LCD is the copyright screen and now double row of lines with curse at top left.

This is what is supposed to be seen on the LCD when powering up normally. Read http://www.megadrum.info/content/genera ... adrum-menu

I notice that when I hold my left button while powering up, it just goes to the double row screen with cursor. ??

Something is wrong with the LEFT button. Can you navigate both left and right with buttons in the Menu?
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby CCinBR200 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:37 pm

dmitri wrote:
CCinBR200 wrote:The chip is STM32F205RCT6
Firmware is 20160529

Take a screenshot of MIDI settings in Options.
Also, do you have any other MIDI software running at the same time?

I am attaching screen shot of the MIDI settings.
I don't think I have any other MIDI software running.

When I last posted, I saw the LCD display the progress while installing the Firmware.

Why do you install a firmware when you already have the latest version installed?

The order of events I described is probably confusing:
At the time I last posted, I had never installed the firmware. So, I used MDM to install the latest firmware at that time. I saw the LCD update and report completed. I did not try to install it again after that.

But today, all I see on the LCD is the copyright screen and now double row of lines with curse at top left.

This is what is supposed to be seen on the LCD when powering up normally. Read http://www.megadrum.info/content/genera ... adrum-menu

Thank you. I have now read it and I understand why you say the LEFT button isn't working. It looks like none of them are.

Something is wrong with the LEFT button. Can you navigate both left and right with buttons in the Menu?

None of my buttons will open the menu so I can't get to the menu at all. I will troubleshoot the button problem and get back to you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CCinBR200

Postby dmitri » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:57 pm

When you run MDM is MegaDrum in a normal running mode, i.e. it shows VU-Meters?
dmitri
Site Admin

Next

Return to Related Software