Pc Set Up for Megadrum

Discussions of any related software

Moderator: Related software moderators

Pc Set Up for Megadrum

Postby Thanasis » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:52 am

Being an amateur in programs related to music I have much difficulty to set up my PC correct and even though I have read the related Megadrum topics.

1)How to set up correct MIDI connectivity with PC ? The related PDF doesn't clarify things enough. Do I need a new music interface (such as ESI Juli) or with my Sound Blaster Live works fine?
2)What VST is suitable for Megadrum , I've read that a lot users have choose either AD, EZdrummer or similar expensive programs. Being on a budget can programs like Studio Kit Builder (http://www.bestservice.de/en/studio_kit ... ml#reviews) work or others standalone programs?
3) Megadrum Manager has a lot of parameters which I don't know how to set them up, for example the cymbals are going to be set up automatically once the connection has done properly?

That's for the beginning.
Thanasis
Thanasis

Re: Pc Set Up for Megadrum

Postby halifax30 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:33 pm

Hi Thanasis,
Sorry but it is not clear to me: Do you already have a MegaDrum module? If yes, did you build it yourself or have you bought it from Dmitri? What electronic drumset do you have (if any)?
To answer your specific questions:
1) My MegaDrum (build by Dmitri) has a USB connector. I just bought a cable and plugged it into MegaDrum and to a free USB port on my PC. It works fine.
2) MegaDrum converts the hits on your drumset into MIDI notes (like notes on a piano: A2 D#2, etc., where the number is the octave). This means that you can use any VST instrument with MegaDrum. I haven't heard about Studio Kit Builder before, but I wouldn't say it is particularly cheap. If you wait until the Black Friday sales in the US (next one will be on 28 November 2016), you will probably be able to get AD2 for the same price.
3) 99% of MegaDrum setup is manual. And it is quite complicated. You can see my equipment in my signature. I got my MegaDrum 2 months ago and I'm still not finished setting up my pads, although it already works about 85%. But the benefit is that you can use MegaDrum for basically any drumpad or cymbal from any manufacturer. Or for pads you've built yourself, like I did.
Pearl Rhythm Pod converted to electronic with DIY foam cones and crossbar design. Using Drum-Tec mesh heads. 56-input MegaDrum with color LCD. Yamaha PCY135, PCY155, and some DIY cymbals. DIY Hall Sensor hihat pedal with PCY135 as top-hat.
halifax30

Postby Thanasis » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:33 pm

Hello Halifax30, yes I own a Dimitri-built Megadrum 32 module with Arm STM32F205RCT6, built-in extended EEPROM and Positional Sensing addon board.
1)When I connect the Megadrum to PC it shows "Midi INIT Error". For some reason I can't configure it correctly. All I want is a step by step guide.
2) All I want is a program that will do the job that I want it that being , producing real drum sounds from my e-kit. I can pay a price but I want to know if there are other programs around that can do the job
Thanasis

Postby ignotus » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:52 pm

To get the module to communicate with Megadrum manager, you have to go to Main -> Options -> choose the midi in/out ports (should be something like 'USB audio device', 'megadrum usb' or something like that). Choose same port for in and out.

Have a look at Drummic'a, on the Sennheiser website. It's free and apparently has quite good quality sounds. To "do the job" can be subjective. There are free options (Drummic'a, Hydrogen and others), but they all lack some feature or other that "paid-for" VSTs do better. However, they may be sufficient for what you want to do.
If it ain't broken... fix it until it is.
ignotus

Postby airflamesred » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:32 pm

+1 on the Drumica, and I think it is a discount route for Kontakt which you may consider further down the line.

I wouldn't worry about the audio card for the moment, see if you need another one when you have things set up.

koby drums - Triggera krigg/Bix - megadrum - Kontakt........... Samples from all and sundry.
airflamesred

Postby halifax30 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:23 pm

Regarding the audio interface, I use the on-board audio of my desktop PC at the moment. It works fine. It is more important to use ASIO drivers (I use ASIO4ALL) to achieve low latency. Before I used ASIO, my drumset was un-playable (too long delay between drumhits and sound coming out of the speakers).
Pearl Rhythm Pod converted to electronic with DIY foam cones and crossbar design. Using Drum-Tec mesh heads. 56-input MegaDrum with color LCD. Yamaha PCY135, PCY155, and some DIY cymbals. DIY Hall Sensor hihat pedal with PCY135 as top-hat.
halifax30

Postby Thanasis » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:38 pm

ignotus wrote:To get the module to communicate with Megadrum manager, you have to go to Main -> Options -> choose the midi in/out ports (should be something like 'USB audio device', 'megadrum usb' or something like that). Choose same port for in and out.

Ok fix that I got solid green Sys ok.

I have the set manually the settings from the cymbals? I have the following Kit Toy cymbals in mono
1) 15" china
2) 2 x 15" crash
3) 2 x splashes

Does anyone know the settings of them (step by step please)

ignotus wrote:Have a look at Drummic'a, on the Sennheiser website. It's free and apparently has quite good quality sounds. To "do the job" can be subjective. There are free options (Drummic'a, Hydrogen and others), but they all lack some feature or other that "paid-for" VSTs do better. However, they may be sufficient for what you want to do.

I am downloading Drummic'a at this moment and I saw that it works with Kontakt 5 player which is easy to operate. I will try the Hydrogen too, Thanks

@airflamesred: That's my purpose, if I want something better at a later time I will seek for it.

@halifax30: I will install ASIOdrivers but first I want to see if there is a delay and first of all to hear a sound from my drum kit through Megadrum.
Thanasis

Postby dmitri » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:20 pm

Thanasis wrote:I have the set manually the settings from the cymbals? I have the following Kit Toy cymbals in mono
1) 15" china
2) 2 x 15" crash
3) 2 x splashes

Does anyone know the settings of them (step by step please)

The main settings you have to set are:
1. Note, ANote, PNote.
2. Threshold.
3. HighLevel.

To understand what these (and many other) settings do, you have to read through http://www.megadrum.info/content/megadrum-configuration and in particular through http://www.megadrum.info/content/pads-settings to understand MegaDrum settings.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby Thanasis » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:15 am

Thanks Dimitri for your answer. I have trouble getting any sound from Kontakt 5 player and when I load Drummic'a the only screen that appears is for selecting microphones. Tried to load instrument but no luck. Any help?
Thanasis

Postby airflamesred » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:14 am

Have you set up the audio and midi settings on kontakt?

koby drums - Triggera krigg/Bix - megadrum - Kontakt........... Samples from all and sundry.
airflamesred

Next

Return to Related Software