MIDI init error and upgrade problem

Discussions of any related software

Moderator: Related software moderators

Re: MIDI init error and upgrade problem

Postby dmitri » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:15 pm

First thing I will suggest to do is to try it on another PC.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby airflamesred » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:18 pm

Under options in MDM, what does the midi port say? Perhaps try the rescan ports.

koby drums - Triggera krigg/Bix - megadrum - Kontakt........... Samples from all and sundry.
airflamesred

Postby dmitri » Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:23 pm

tosza wrote:- If I turn on Megadrum normally, it's always blue (thus receives charge via USB), but empty. No Megadrum MIDI port appears in MDM

Looks like you erased MegaDrum firmware with the failed firmware upgrade. You have to recover the firmware.
1. Make sure no other software is running which might be using MIDI ports.
2. Boot MegaDrum to bootloadr (left button kept pressed while powering up).
3. Start MDM. In Options make sure you select MegaDrum USB MIDI In/Out ports.
4. In MDM select 'Firmware upgrade'.
5. Follow the instructions in the 'MegaDrum Firmware Upgrade' window exactly.

If it fails in any of the above steps, describe in details step-by-step what you do and what happens when you follow the upgrade procedure.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby dmitri » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:07 pm

tosza wrote:This is exactly the procedure I tried several times today.

1. No other software is using the MIDI ports.
2. MDM is turned off, Megadrum is turned off.
2. Press the left button, and then power the Megadrum. It says: "FWSUpdaterSTM32d - StartUpdateOnPC" (It's kinda strange as I have the 56 input version, and I'm trying to upload the 56d...guess it's the right one.)
3. Start MDM. In Options I choose MIDIIN2/MIDIOUT2 (but the same thing happens mith Megadrum USB MIDI). It says "MIDI init error" (closed MIDI)
4. In MDM select 'Firmware upgrade'.
5. Then there are 2 variations:
5/a. "Megadrum is not responding" message
5/b. Only "Cancel" is active, but nothing happens (not just for a few minutes, but tried it even for an hour)

You're not following MDM Firmware Upgrade instructions EXACTLY! In step 3 and 4 it tells you to power off MegaDrum and boot into bootloader again.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby Johnofhwrong » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:59 pm

Can someone post the link for the steps please , I've done the same thing
Johnofhwrong

Postby Stiletto » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:05 pm

Johnofhwrong, check out Dmitri's post here, he spells out just what to do to recover the firmware.

Good luck with it. I just received my very nicely assembled MD-56 this week. While waiting on a set of black heads to ship from 682drums I have been voraciously reading the configuration and troubleshooting docs. Between the thousands of member posts on this forum, YouTube MDM videos, Dmitri's docs, Angr77's docs & website and much more, I'm finding that there is a LOT of excellent technical info out there. I'm going through it now hoping to avoid common problems when I'm ready to configure.
Mapex M-series kit with MegaDrum-56PS, RME Babyface Pro, DIY super-strut crossbars & rim condoms, Quartz piezos & cones, 682drums 2-ply heads, Roland VH-11, Octapad, Yamaha 2xPCY155, 1xPCY135, AD2/w10/Lenovo W541, DrumDial.
Stiletto

Postby Johnofhwrong » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:45 pm

Stiletto wrote:Johnofhwrong, check out Dmitri's post here, he spells out just what to do to recover the firmware.

Good luck with it. I just received my very nicely assembled MD-56 this week. While waiting on a set of black heads to ship from 682drums I have been voraciously reading the configuration and troubleshooting docs. Between the thousands of member posts on this forum, YouTube MDM videos, Dmitri's docs, Angr77's docs & website and much more, I'm finding that there is a LOT of excellent technical info out there. I'm going through it now hoping to avoid common problems when I'm ready to configure.

Sorted it, changed laptop and it sorted it !!
Johnofhwrong

Postby Uperniwi » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:04 am

Johnofhwrong wrote:Can someone post the link for the steps please , I've done the same thing

I have the same problem with the upgrade and received "Megadrum is not responding" in MD Manager FX or "CRC Error" using Mdfwupdate.
Uperniwi

Postby dmitri » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:26 pm

You actually have a different problem. Please stick with one place - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1075&p=32665#p32665 - where you described your problem.
dmitri
Site Admin

Return to Related Software